Ordinary meeting minutes 5/08/2013

PENSHURST PARISH COUNCIL

Minutes of the Meeting of the Parish Council of Penshurst Parish Council held on Monday 5 August July 2013 at 7.30 pm in Penshurst Village Hall

1.            PRESENT:  Cllrs J Cass (Chairman), Mrs D Broad, A Campbell, S Frederick, J Horsford, B Townsend.

APOLOGIES:    Cllrs J O’Shea, J Broadhead, I Carson, SDCllr P Cooke

2.         MINUTES OF MEETING HELD ON 1 July 2013, having been circulated, were approved and signed by the Chairman..

Declarations of interests in agenda items
If a Member has a disclosable pecuniary interest in an item of business this must be declared at the start of the meeting, unless dispensation has been granted.  The member may not participate in any discussion, vote or discharge any function related to that business.
Non-pecuniary interests may be declared at this point if not already registered.  Members with a non-pecuniary interest may speak on the subject if members of the public can do so but may not vote.    NONE

3.         OPEN SESSION

Chairman confirmed that the Judicial Review for the approved WKHA application on Forge Field had been granted for hearing, papers required from SDC/WKHA must be submitted by 2 September.      It was anticipated the current application would be discussed at the SDC planning meeting on 5 September.
Cllr Frederick to contact resident regarding problems with bridge/culvert on Coach Road, Mr Johnson confirmed this had moved again and should therefore be monitored on a regular basis.
Clerk to report problems with road surface at turning circle in Glebelands
Problems were being experienced when exiting Latymers due to vehicles parking inside the white line adjacent to the village hall, PC to discuss any options with Steven Noad
Long Bridge – suggestion to move 30MPH limit further back to improve safety, to discuss with Steven Noad at meeting
The owner of PORC registered his anger at the number of complaints submitted to SDC regarding activities on his site and advised that trees in his hedging had contracted Dutch elm disease so would visibly deteriorate in due course, clerk confirmed she had recently submitted a request regarding work being carried out on the old orchard field.
Cllr Horsford to check fallen tree at top of Coopers Lane.
A number of speed signs were covered with vegetation, residents should be aware that they are responsible for removal of overgrown trees/shrubs if growing on their land and obscuring road signs.
Mike Gilbert reported on the current position with regard to the church wall repairs in Fordcombe and advised that the costs would be considerably more than originally expected due to the materials required – sandstone.  A start date for the work would be provided later in the week as the sandstone would not be available for six weeks.   Clerk to check insurance position with regard to wall.

4.        PLANNING

Applications:
SE/13/01590:  Land SW of Forge Garage, High Street, Penshurst:  Erection of Six Affordable Dwellings with associated access and landscaping works.    SDC confirm extension to response time to 17 July 2013.  PC Response:  The Parish Council continue to support this application and have no further comments to add.
SE/13/01835:  Saints Hill House, Saints Hill, Penshurst:   Demolition of timber/brick garages.  Erection of single storey side extension with glazed link passage from main house to new gymnasium and three bay garage.   Coach House South elevation fenestration alteration.  P C  Support
SE/13/01630/631LBC:  Hamsell Farm, Coopers Lane, Penshurst:   Replace existing windows with double glazed units of similar design   PC Support
SE/13/02115:  Polbream, Saints Hill, Penshurst:  Erection of single storey side/rear (western elevation) extension with mezzanine floor and basement; single storey rear extension; balcony to first floor to rear elevation; porch to front elevation; conversion of roof space into habitable space with roof lights to front and rear elevations.   TBA

Decisions:
SE/13/01565:  Orchard Mews, Nunnery Lane, Penshurst:  Proposed replacement garden building.   GRANTED
SE/13/01418:  Old Lodge, Spring Hill, Fordcombe:  Erection of wooden Garden Shed measuring 2.4m x 3.6m x 2.5m high on hard standing, adjacent to existing garage and behind existing fencing within the boundaries of the property.  REFUSED
SE/13/01566:  Garden Cottage, Poundsbridge Lane, Penshurst:  Erection of stable block and access track, change of use of land for keeping of horses.   GRANTED

5.         MATTERS ARISING:

a.                     Fordcombe Noticeboard:   Cllr Cass had obtained a quote for a replacement doors at approximately £500, to be provided in wood.   Chairman, Cllr Townsend and clerk met with further contractor on site to discuss condition of existing noticeboard, photographs having been provided prior to his visit.      It was agreed the main structure of the board was in reasonable condition.   To design, make and fit a pair of oak doors with closing members rebated to minimise ingress of rain, snow, dust etc. using more substantial brass hinges to bear the weight, toughened float glass but existing lock and bolts, the total cost would be £265.   An alternative to supply a new board complete to fit on existing posts with twin doors, all in oak, would be £600.    After discussion it was agreed that clerk be requested to authorise the replacement of the doors at £265.   Cllr Townsend advised it might be possible for the Village Hall committee to authorise payment for the cost of repairs to the electrics on the board.   Cllr Townsend was asked to speak with the committee regarding the removal of the two obsolete flower beds on the grass near the steps.

b.                     School pedestrian route.       Steven Noad had offered two dates for a meeting, either 9 or 13 August.   Clerk to make arrangements for meeting to be held on Friday 9 in the morning at 10.30 am.   Andy Stronghill attending on behalf of estate.     (Issue registered under Ref. 70667.)   Cllrs Cass and Mrs Broad, Mr R Sellings and clerk to attend.  Items for discussion:  Replacement fencing; white lines on bridge; clearance of vegetation from inside of edging walls of bridge; moving 30 MPH signage further towards Grove Road to slow traffic earlier.

c.                    Grass cutting:       In view of fact the mowing season was already well advanced, clerk had authorised KCC to continue with play area/edging clearance.

d.                     Field – Grove Road:   Advice received from SDC that this is a Kent Wildlife Trust funded project to create scrapes and ponds to encourage lapwings etc.    Further activity will occur when water is pumped up from the river.

e.                     Latymers:  Two rubbish bins replaced by SDC in layby opposite Penshurst Place, one had since been stolen.  It appeared this unit had not been cemented into the ground.   SDC had no further stocks to allocate and were unable to purchase further items until the new budget became available, they would however do their best to provide a further bin if possible.

f.                      Swaylands:  Clerk advised by a Director of Swaylands (Priscilla Hother) that the opening of the gardens had been discussed on several occasions by the residents.   There were concerns with regard to safety of members of the public accessing the site ie the rockery area could be dangerous – dependent upon weather conditions and there was a lack of parking facilities on site.   It was not considered that the NGS, or similar option as given in the S.106 Agreement, for opening the site was suitable in view of the number of visitors it might attract and alternatives were being investigated.  It was felt perhaps smaller groups from the local gardening society might be a more practical option.   Clerk was also advised that the gardens were not yet considered up to standard, in view of the high cost involved in using outside contractors, the residents were organising the work themselves.   If requirements of S.106 not found to be complied with, PC can approach Enforcement Office to investigate issue.   In view of the fact that this was an integral part of the S.106 when permission was given for development of the site, members considered this unacceptable and asked clerk to discuss position with Enforcement Office at SDC.

g.                     Data Collection, Speed Signs:   Laura Squires contacted regarding data availability, Inteltrafsys provide service of data collection, cost per unit £74 Plus VAT.   After discussion it was agreed that data collated at Speedwatch sessions was sufficient for current requirements.

h.                     Forge Field Society:   Cllr O’Shea agreed to check whether his wife was a member and had consequently contacted Robert Rees to look through the records of the organisation; based on his feedback he confirmed his wife was not a member.

6.         REPORTS:

a.                     Kent County Councillor:  Clerk advised by member of Fordcombe Village Hall committee that defibrillator had been provided directly to them by KCC, funded by KCCllr Lake’s Members’ Funding prior to his leaving office.
Chairman had liaised with Chairman of Leigh regarding non attendance at meetings of Mr Pearman, KCCllr.   Paul Carter (Leader KCC) had been contacted in mid June for his opinion and an official reply was awaited.

b.                     Sevenoaks District Councillor:     No report

c.                     KALC:     No report

d.                     Alms Houses:      Mr Johnson advised that the refurbishment of the second property commenced on 29 July and was being carried out by a local contractor.

e.                     Neighbourhood Watch:   The report dated 2 August indicated a burglary from a garage in Penshurst and criminal damage had taken place to a garden in Fordcombe.   Members advised they were aware of three other instances of properties being entered in Penshurst and one in Fordcombe.   Mr Johnson reported that a young man had travelled through the village recently checking the contents of cars and had tried to steal the flower money from the Fir Tree Tea Rooms prior to causing problems at Penshurst Place, the police were called to deal with the situation.   It was planned that the Mobile Library would be used for police visits, Fordcombe would be visited on 7 November.

f.                                    Speedwatch:     Application had been submitted to SDC for funding towards the SID unit required for the Speedwatch team, PC should be advised by the end of the month if successful.   Cllr Paddy Cooke had supported the application.    Mr Sellings confirmed that a good team had formed to carry out the Speedwatch scheme, weather permitting.   Guy Rollinson confirmed the police would be visiting the parish with radar to monitor speeding.    A request for volunteers to be placed in the Fordcombe magazine.    Cllr Campbell advised that 446 entries had been collated to date (this did not include the information collected by the Speedwatch team which used the school for its session).   This information had been submitted and as a result 10 letters had been sent to drivers using excessive speed and 17 drivers had committed second offences.  There were a further 100 to be submitted and analysed.   It was reported that the use of the Speedwatch equipment was having a definite impact on traffic through the villages.

7.         HIGHWAYS:

a.                     Penshurst Rectory Hedge:     Clerk forwarded a copy of minutes relating to the discussion in relation to the diocesan hedge to highways advising they, together with the diocese, would be considered responsible in the event of an accident.   Matter deferred for two months.

b.                     Reported Faults Update:

Ref: 49299/49750:  Fordcombe Road junction with Glebelands – Website indicates work completed.
Ref: 62231:  Laying water reported on road opposite Poundsbridge Lane junction with Penshurst Road.  Confirmation more work required.
Ref: 53310:  Laying water reported between Petersfield and Birches on Fordcombe Road, passed to drainage engineer for action, problem still under investigation.
Ref: 62226:  Flooding on road from Meadow Wood towards Barden Road reported again, confirmation further work required.  This is covered by Bidborough Highways area inspector.
Ref: 73726:  Pothole at Old Post Office:  Clerk reported for repair, highways advise this has been placed in the hands of the water board.   Repair carried out.
10212521 – Poundsbridge Manor and Swaylands:  Website indicates issue resolved.
Ref. 69819:  Cats eyes, New Road: Reported to highways, area investigated, further work required.
Ref. 71781:  Blocked Drains Rogues Hill:   Works completed 29 May.
Ref. 72233:  PORC:   Disintegration of road edging.   Works completed.
Ref. 72341:  Chilcots – Chafford Lane-Broad Lane:   Multiple potholes reported, website indicates work completed 4 June.
Penshurst School Sign:  The original flashing school sign opposite The Birches had again become overgrown with branches, clerk had recently contacted landowner with a request to clear, work completed.
Old Rectory, Penshurst:   Hedging impacting on pavement, clerk contacted resident to request hedge be cut back, work carried out.
Footpath outside 15/16 Glebelands:  Surface uneven, puddles forming, existing repair unsatisfactory, clerk reported to SDC, area being monitored prior to possible further work being undertaken.   Previous work undertaken had been with the aid of a whacker plate which had provided an uneven surface resulting in the current puddling problems.
New Road, Penshurst:   Overgrown area by layby reported to SDC for attention, confirmation received that SDC would arrange to cut back the hedging in August to enable Kent Highways to clear the paving.
Eden View, Penshurst Road:   Closed for one day on 29 July for installation of high friction surface.   Clerk to report road collapsing, photos provided by parishioner, also to query necessity for the high friction surface.
Ref. 74396:  Daneby Hall – Cleave House Potholes.  Works completed 5 July 2013.
The Warren:   Clerk was asked to report problems with the road surface approaching the Warren, the overhanging hedge on the BT site (Reported to Open Reach Ref: 4509578), and an overgrown shrub/tree at the back of Petresfield property obstructing the lane.   Open Reach had cut the hedging back and advised clerk that bi-monthly inspection visits would be undertaken to check work required with a hard cut of the hedging being undertaken during the winter months, the overgrown shrub/tree had been cut back by the resident contacted by the clerk.
Ref:  75405:   Culvert outside Alms House, Rogues Hill.   Reported for clearance, confirmation received issue passed to drainage section for area to be inspected.
SDC Ref: 313719:  Refuse Bin – Layby opposite Penshurst Place, Penshurst Road.   Clerk reported one of the new bins had been stolen, SDC would replace if spare bin available but advised that no further bins could be purchased until next allocation of funding.
Ref: 75963:  Pothole near Latymers/Public Toilet site.  Highways Inspector advises pothole not within limits for repair.
Ref: 76070:  Junction of Fordcombe Road and The Warren approach, pothole in road between school and BT building.  Under investigation as at 3 August.

8.                     FINANCE:

The following accounts were presented and approved for payment:

I Streeter                                                          Lengthsman                                                       £89.00
Chiddingstone Parish Council                               Contribution to Leaflets/Posters – Fun Day           £63.00
Landscape Services                                            Village Mowing                                                   £356.15
RIP Cleaning Services                                         Dog Waste Removal                                           £129.60
Penshurst Place                                                  Allotment Rental                                     £7.50
Fordcombe Village Hall                                       Hall Hire Fee                                                     £12.00
Glasdon                                                             Dog Waste Bin                                                   £225.08
Oast & Oak Services                                           Penshurst Churchyard Mowing                             £993.00
“       “       “                                                   Fordcombe Churchyard Mowing                           £672.91
SDC                                                                  Bulk Freighter Fee                                              £165.60
Chase Fencing Supplies                                       Replacement chains                                            £944.40

a. Play Equipment Chain Theft:      Replacement chains had been ordered by the clerk at best cost available, approximate 30% saving on original supply company costs, and had now been fitted.    The possibility of covering the site with CCTV was discussed.

b.Quarterly Accounts:   Clerk provided copies of the quarterly accounts, these were noted.

9.                     CORRESPONDENCE:

a.    Kent County Council Members Fund:  Advice received that members would have an allocation of funding to share between parishes for small projects.   Items advised for consideration are: Speedwatch Equipment (application already submitted via Cllr Cooke at SDC); white lining at Long Bridge (possible funding from Highway H&S budget could be awarded); pedestrian access from New Road to Penshurst School on verge/field access; public toilets.
b.    Spring Hill Road Closure:  High friction surfacing to be applied on section of B2188 on 21 August 2013 between 9.30 am and 15.30 pm subject to suitable weather conditions, south of Sandfield Road to Colliersland Bridge.   Road to be closed completely for H&S, diversion route will be signed via B2188 Spring Hill, B2176 Penshurst Road, A26 London Road and A264 Ashurst Road.

10.                   ANY OTHER BUSINESS:

a.    Chafford Lane:   Drains blocked, clerk to report.
b.    Fordcombe Green Parking:  Chairman advised that the PC would be writing to a resident regarding complaints received in relation to parking on the roadway adjacent to The Green.   The PC would provide information on its legal position, consideration was being given to the erection of appropriately worded parking signs.
c.     Walters Green Road:  Chevron demolished outside Yeomans, clerk to report.
d.    Coldharbour Road Signage:  Clerk to check availability of sign to identify Coldharbour Road for placement at top of Smarts Hill.

Meeting concluded 9.15 pm