Ordinary meeting minutes 4/11/2013

PENSHURST PARISH COUNCIL

Minutes of the Meeting of Penshurst Parish Council held on Monday 4 November 2013 at 7.30 pm in Fordcombe Village Hall

1.PRESENT:   Cllrs J Cass (Chairman); Mrs D Broad, J Broadhead, A Campbell, S Frederick, J Horsford, B Townsend

APOLOGIES:   Cllrs I Carson, J O’Shea

2.         MINUTES OF MEETING HELD ON 7 October 2013, having been circulated were approved and signed by the Chairman.

Declarations of interests in agenda items
If a Member has a disclosable pecuniary interest in an item of business this must be declared at the start of the meeting, unless dispensation has been granted.  The member may not participate in any discussion, vote or discharge any function related to that business.
Non-pecuniary interests may be declared at this point if not already registered.  Members with a non-pecuniary interest may speak on the subject if members of the public can do so but may not vote.    NONE

3.         OPEN SESSION
Parishioners requested the PC to take action on the condition of the rectory hedge in Penshurst, highways had advised Mr Loring that the hedge would be cut back hard on the next occasion, this had not been done. Clerk to obtain safety bollards for lengthsman’s use and Mr Loring to speak with landowner.   Mr Johnson offered his services if required.
It was noted that the estate had not yet cut the hedges for which they were responsible on Rogues Hill.
Clerk confirmed highways had instructed the water company to return to site and correct the reinstatement of the pavement after installation of the water meters.
Clerk had been provided with photographs for submission to highways showing continued laying water along the road between the High Street and Latymers in Penshurst.
Sketch of Chafford Lane used to indicate exact location of problem drains already reported.

4.        PLANNING

Applications:
SE/13/03097:  Woodlands, Sandfield Road, Penshurst:   Erection of single storey extension to rear of existing garage in conjunction with conversion of the existing garage into living accommodation and alterations to fenestration.
SE/13/03002:  1 Meads View, Fordcombe Road, Fordcombe:  Demolition of garage & erection of a single storey side extension, plus general alterations.

Decisions:
SE/13/02212:  Honeyfield Cottage, Poundsbridge Lane, Poundsbridge, Penshurst: Infill extension on the south west elevation, installation of new double door and window to dining room, repositioning of the entrance with new porch, and three dormer windows to north east elevation, north west elevation and south west elevation. Installation of new entrance steps.    GRANTED
SE/13/02495:  Woodgate Manor, Penshurst Road, Penshurst:  Provision of 2 visitor car parking spaces.   GRANTED
SE/13/02419:  Larkfield House, Saints Hill, Penshurst:  Demolition of existing dwelling house and two outbuildings, erection of new two storey dwelling house, including construction of basement.   GRANTED

Tree Surgery:
SE/13/02940:  Culver House, Penshurst Road, Penshurst:    Removal of oak tree (TPO).   The PC is happy to be guided by the SDC Tree Officer as this tree has a TPO.
SE/13/03039:  Birches, Fordcombe Road, Penshurst:  Fell one hornbeam.   The PC would prefer to see a reduction to the crown, rather than felling, unless the SDC Tree Officer thinks otherwise.
SE/13/03067:  Forge Close, High Street, Penshurst:   Fell 1 Goat Willow tree and poison stump. Cut back bushes. Fell 1 Laurel tree to ground level and cut back overhanging along the path.   The PC has no objection to the removal of what are basically two overgrown shrubs.
TPO/11/2013:  The Gables, Spring Hill, Fordcombe:   Confirmed on 21 October 2013

Affordable Housing Judicial Review/Current Planning Permission awarded:   There was no further information regarding a possible Judicial Review relating to the planning permission awarded on 3 October 2013.

5.         MATTERS ARISING:

a.         Fordcombe Noticeboard:   Work being completed at date of meeting.

b.         School pedestrian route.    Clerk advised various options being considered by KCC, provision of pavement not possible due to lack of funding and insufficient width of road, vegetation clearance necessary, highlighting narrow bridge, additional signage, priority working, official priority signs all being costed and considered.

c.         Swaylands:  Garden Scheme, further information awaited from Nicola Clinch, Enforcement Officer at SDC.

d.         Gas Supply:  Clerk requested Penshurst and Fordcombe magazines carry note about possibility of gas being made available to the villages asking those interested to email the clerk with their names and addresses before 18 November; clerk confirmed she had received a number of responses.

e.         Highways:  Sand/Salt provision for winter, application made to Highways for supply of on tonne bag, Cllr Horsford to act as liaison with Highways, clerk had actioned.

f.          Gatwick Airport: Cllr Cass to attend meeting with other local parishes regarding possible provision of further runway accompanied by parishioner with specialist knowledge of subject, Mr Michael Knowles OBE.   Penshurst may be in the direct flight path which was currently being discussed.

g.         Fordcombe Church Wall:    This was due to be completed the following day and had been carried out to an acceptable standard.

h.         Fordcombe Green Notice:   Supplied and erected on school fence asking people not to block access.

6.         REPORTS:

a.         Kent County Councillor:   KCCllr Clive Pearman provided information on the following items for circulation:

·         KCC Home Care Survey.
·         Consultation on Options for the New Health Needs Education Service for Kent.   Information on consultation document – open until 16 December – available on www.kent.gov.uk/schoolconsultations
·         Transformation Plan to address budget reductions to meet target figures for next three financial years
·         Change of policy regarding control of vegetation on country roads.   Parish Council to initiate process of requesting landowners to cut back vegetation affecting roads/pavements before passing to Kent Highways for action, final stage would enable Highways to take action to ensure H&S is maintained.
·         Projects:  Safe Walking route to school, Penshurst
Construction of missing piece of pavement in Edenbridge High Street
Safe turning route from High Street, Leigh at junction with Fleur de Lys

b.         Sevenoaks District Councillor:    No report

c.                     KALC:    AGM scheduled for 26 November with regular meeting due on 8 November.

d.         Alms Houses:  Mr Johnson reported that the three units with separate bedrooms had been refurbished and were occupied.   The three bedsits required refurbishment and Trustees would be meeting to discuss the best way to complete the project taking into consideration the existing tenants.

e.         Neighbourhood Watch:   Mr Johnson advised the only crime reported had been the theft of road signs from Saints Hill between the 2 and 8 October.

f.                     Speedwatch:   Members had attended the recent training session at SDC.  Mr Johnson recorded his concern at the speeds recorded of some of the cars using the Fordcombe Road towards Penshurst Village.
Mr Furnell provided a graph of vehicle speeds between 25 September and 19 October, a detailed breakdown of one day showed cars travelling at speeds between 50 – 65MPH periodically throughout the day.   Clerk had requested police attend site for an official speed check.   Clerk to check with SDC whether Traffic Wardens attended village parking problem sites.  Cllr Campbell confirmed that from May 2013 – 108 letters had been sent by the police to second time speed offenders, 31 to 3rd time, 12 to 4th time and 7 to 5th time.   28 had been sent out to drivers exceeding the speed by 50%.   Letters would be hand delivered in future by police.

7.         HIGHWAYS:

b.                     Reported Faults Update:

62231/62226:  Laying water reported on road opposite Poundsbridge Lane junction with Penshurst Road.     Flooding on road from Meadow Wood towards Barden Road reported again.   Both issues passed to Alistair Coleman to deal with, programming of work required, plans to channel water into cleared ditches/pond area to alleviate problems on road with laying water/ice.   Work not carried out, clerk reported again.
75405:   Culvert outside Alms House, Rogues Hill – crew attended 8 October 2013 and cleansed/cleared 15 meter culvert under the road, left clear and running.
76261: Rogues Hill between Bridge House and Quarry House.  Gully cleansing job has been raised and is due to be attended by the end of October
76262: Fordcombe Road between Glebelands and The Warren.    Crew attended 16 October 2013 and cleansed 3 No. Gullies and jetted connecting pipeline, left clear and running.   Advice received from parishioner that there was no improvement, clerk contact KCC again.
79863:  Chafford Lane:  Crew attended on 25 July to carry out repairs to the pipe line outside of property called Burnett, exact location to be provided by clerk.
76264:  Walters Green Road:   Notes indicate that site has been inspected and the 700 x 700 chevron needs replacing.
80349:  Chafford Lane/St. Peter’s Row:   Drainage system blocked, website indicates work completed on 7 August, work not carried out.   Exact location of gulley to be provided by clerk.
80350:  Rogues Hill:  Blocked run of drains, website indicated work has been programmed on 7 August, works still not completed
Paving – Penshurst High Street:  South East Water had installed water meters at properties adjacent to the brick paving area and filled the consequent holes with tarmac.   Clerk reported issue to SE Water and was advised contractors had effected a temporary repair for 2/3 weeks to ensure meters were working correctly and there was no sinkage due to leaks.  Final reinstatement had been undertaken but the standard was poor, clerk reported issue to Highways again for investigation and spoke to Highways Officer at recent seminar confirming poor workmanship.   Confirmation received from Highways that a defect report has been forwarded to SEW to have work rectified.
Road Sign:  Request for road sign at top of Smarts Hill to indicate Coldharbour Road forwarded by highways to SDC on 7 August 2013 for action, further contact made with SDC on 9 October.
79772:  Lilac Cottage, Penshurst:  Blocked drain, works programmed as of 2 October.
80221: Penshurst T Junction – Penshurst Road/High Street:  Request for reintroduction of worn white lining, issue under investigation as of 8 October.

8.                     FINANCE:

The following accounts were presented and approved for payment:

I Streeter                                                          Lengthsman                                                       £89.00
Fordcombe Village Hall                                       Hall Hire                                                            £12.00
Playsafety Ltd                                                    RoSPA Inspection Fordcombe Play Equipment       £110.40
SDC                                                                  Bulk Freighter Service                                        £165.60
Oast & Oak Services                                           Penshurst Churchyard Mowing                             £1723.79

a. Precept 2014/15 & Quarterly Accounts:   Copies of quarterly accounts and basic expenditures for the forthcoming PC precept provided by clerk.     Clerk advised she had included a sum in response to a suggestion of possible projects being undertaken in the ensuing year, this figure to be £10,000.   Clerk to update the precept figures for December meeting.
Mr Gilbert advised that funding was still being held for work required to the willow tunnel on the play area, clerk to be given contact number to make the necessary arrangements.

b. Penshurst Playgroup (Scallywags):  Clerk advised by organiser of group that due to its successful start, funding was no longer required.

c. Home Start – South West Kent:   Request for donation towards costs of running charity.   Clerk provided information on the work of the organisation in connection with young families and advised they had taken part in the Fun Day events the previous year and had been in contact with over 1400 families in need of assistance as a result.   It was unanimously agreed that a donation of £100 be made to the organisation to assist with their work.

9.                     CORRESPONDENCE:

a.  SDC:   Request for assistance in finding a local outlet for the provision of SDC garden waste collection sacks for sale to the public.   Clerk contacted SDC to suggest local options.

b.  Mr K Skinner:  Request for assistance in tracing information relating to his grandfather, John Ephraim Skinner (1872 – 1957).

10.                   ANY OTHER BUSINESS:

a.    Hever Triathlon:  Clerk to contact organisers to request issue of speeding cyclists using Grove Road during the race be addressed due to danger to parishioners, a lack of courtesy and care for residents had been exhibited by competitors during the 2013 race.

Meeting concluded 8.35 pm                                                   Next Meeting 2 December 2013 – Penshurst