Ordinary Meeting Minutes 4/03/2013

PENSHURST PARISH COUNCIL
Minutes for the Ordinary Meeting of Penshurst Parish Council held on Monday 4 March 2013 at 7.30 pm in Fordcombe Village Hall
1. PRESENT: Cllrs J Cass (Chairman), J Broadhead, A Campbell, Mrs D Broad, Horsford, B Townsend.
APOLOGIES: Cllrs I Carson, S Frederick, J O’Shea, KCCllr P Lake.
2. MINUTES OF MEETING HELD ON 4 February 2013, , having been circulated, were approved and signed by the Chairman.
Declarations of interests in agenda items
If a Member has a disclosable pecuniary interest in an item of business this must be declared at the start of the meeting, unless dispensation has been granted. The member may not participate in any discussion, vote or discharge any function related to that business.
Non-pecuniary interests may be declared at this point if not already registered. Members with a non-pecuniary interest may speak on the subject if members of the public can do so but may not vote. NONE
OPEN SESSION
Mr Peter Waghorn read a statement on behalf of owners of properties immediately adjacent to the school, including Woodpeckers, The Old School House, Wren Cottage, Balnakiel and Jacaranda. This details the problems caused by the parking relating to school start and finish times on a daily basis. The introduction of the zigzag lines had been carried out recently apparently without reference to the PC’s submission to Highways regarding concerns held on this issue. Parking had extended down Chafford Lane and further up the road opposite the cricket pitch since the lines had been painted, the Chafford Arms had also kindly made their car park available to parents. Previously children had had been able to leave the cars on the safety of the green, this was no longer possible Chiddingstone Village had introduced a regime of the teaching staff meeting the vehicles delivering the children and taking them into the school, this meant the drivers caused less obstruction for a shorter space of time. The PC are supportive of 20MPH speed limits in rural village areas generally. Further information produced by Mr Waghorn on a Consultation Paper covering safety, congestion, anti-social parking and access in Fordcombe was also provided for members for their information.
The pedestrian route used from New Road to Penshurst School was raised again, one parishioner had recently witnessed a very dangerous incident with a speeding car and asked why the ash tree/brambles etc had not been cut down from the corner on the Penshurst side of Long Bridge, this appeared to be the only area not dealt with after the clerk wrote to everyone recently requesting the route be checked and cut back. Clerk to contact landowner again.
Poundsbridge Manor: water incursion on road from field should be dealt with during the forthcoming road closure to facilitate gas works.
Clerk to request the hedging at Redleaf & Keepers in the South Lodge/North Lodge area be cut back.
3. PLANNING
Applications:
SE/13/00410/LBCALT: Old Surrenden, Walters Green Road, Penshurst: Replace roof to rear garage and convert rear garage into living accommodation, new pitched roof to rear dormer. Revised application (change of roof material and pitch) following planning permissions Ref: SE/12/02895/6. PC Support
Wells View, Penshurst Road, Penshurst: Demolition of existing timber framed single glazed conservatory to existing floor slab level, to the outbuilding. Construction of a new single storey extension to accommodate a new kitchen, with two roof lights, associated internal and e3xternal alterations.
Tree Surgery:
SE/13/00398: Petresfield, Fordcombe Road, Penshurst: Reduction of 1 No. Holm Oak Tree (CA)
SE/13/00570: 3 The Glebe, Penshurst: Various works to trees
4. MATTERS ARISING:
a. Fordcombe Noticeboard: Clerk emailed councillors with website information for companies supplying suitable noticeboards. Prices obtained for samples. After discussion clerk was promised contacts for three further contractors that might be able to provide quotations. An oak board was preferred with polycarbonate fronts.
b. Allotments: Request from existing allotment holder to take over further allotment currently rented by homeowner they are purchasing from. This was agreed.
c. Hedgecutting: Response received from Diocesan office regarding recent hedgecutting. Clerk to write again and explain overhanging growth that had only been minimally skimmed over recent years needed cutting back.
5. REPORTS:
a. Kent County Councillor: No report
b. Sevenoaks District Councillor: SDCllr Cooke reported to members on a seminar he had attended regarding gypsies and travellers, paperwork was provided for members, SDC would need to made decisions on suitable sites within 6-10 years.
With regard to the budget SDC had seen a 40% reduction in its annual support grant from Government, it was attempting to make ambitious savings whilst trying the maintain front line services. The tax increase recently agreed would cost an average household an extra £3.60 a year of 7p a week. SDC received one of the lowest levels of financial support from Government per head of population in any UK district council. KCC had frozen their tax, Kent Police and Crime had increased by 2.01%, Kent and Medway Towns Fire Authority had frozen their budget and Town and Parish Councils had an average increase of 5.56%. Clerk pointed out that many parish councils were now paying for services that had previously been provided by SDC/KCC as part of the tax allocation. Changes had also been made to allowances provided for second homes, no discount being allowed; and unoccupied homes ie 100% discount for three months then nothing after that, tax to be increased for properties unoccupied for over two years.
c. KALC: Meeting due shortly.
d. Alms Houses: The contractor appointed to carry out the refurbishing work had been appointed and commenced work that day. The appointment of a new resident to the vacancy has not yet been agreed.
e. Neighbourhood Watch: No relevant police reports have been received but concerns had been raised due to unsolicited approaches to properties by a young man trying to sell paintings, he appeared to be deaf and sometimes called during the hours of darkness.
f. Speedwatch: It was hoped checks would commence soon, the possibility of holding the meetings on Saturday mornings was suggested.
6. HIGHWAYS:
a. Penshurst Rectory Hedge: Further letter forwarded to Rectory requesting overhanging area of hedge be cut back in accordance with highway specification requirements.
b. Reported Faults Update:
Ref: 49299/49750: Fordcombe Road junction with Glebelands – Primary School: puddling adjacent to pavement causing problems for pedestrians using route to school. Clerk advised road profiling causing flooding, issue re-assigned for action to relevant highways department.
Ref: 49301: Poundsbridge Lane edging/gravel replacement and possible plastic warning posts adjacent to deep ditches. Further site inspection requested by Clerk, new reference No. 17425664.
Ref: 62231: Laying water reported on road opposite Poundsbridge Lane junction with Penshurst Road. Enquiry under investigation 20 February.
Ref: 53310 (was 53311): Laying water reported between Petersfield and Birches on Fordcombe Road. Passed to drainage engineer for action.
Ref: 54537: Sunken drain covers at junction of Fordcombe Road/The Lane plus one further along the Fordcombe Road Clerk advised further work to be carried out.
Ref: 56792/57757: Potholes reported from Chafford Bridge – Bradley Lane – Top Hill, site visit made 17 January, work to be completed as weather permits
Ref: 62226: Flooding on road from Meadow Wood towards Barden Road reported again.
Poundsbridge Church: Clerk contacted Highway Officer regarding bollards installed adjacent to the wall and ditch collapse, Officer checking area – aware problems experienced with milk tanker – report awaited.

Penshurst School Access – Signage promised: Bridleway SR48 – near Meadow Corner and the track down to Nashes Farm; on the verge near to No. 3 New Road and on the verge between 1 and 2 Glebelands (adjacent to Penshurst Village name sign). Installation of signage completed. Confirmation received from Steven Noad that he would inspect the position of the sign and further consideration would be given to the white lining requested at Long Bridge if funding could be identified to carry out the work. In view of recent near accident clerk to write to Steven Noad and asking for costs involved in the work to provide white lining and, if feasible, PC could pay costs.
10212521 – Poundsbridge Manor and Swaylands: Problems with ineffective ditches/drainage reported, forthcoming gas installation work being undertaken nearby, area to be checked prior to works and repairs necessary to be undertaken whilst road is closed temporarily. Clerk requested area be monitored after utility work to ensure road repairs undertaken to acceptable standard. Engineer contacted clerk to advise further installation works were being carried out for which the road required closure, highways would take advantage of the road closure to complete any works necessary.
New Speed Indicator Sign: Members were aware that the unit collated data to assist with future discussions on any further speed restriction options. Clerk to check with school as to whether the old school flashing signs were still being used.
7. FINANCE:
The following accounts were presented and approved for payment:
Mr I Streeter Lengthsman £86.00
RIP Cleaning Services Dog Waster Removal £43.20
EDF Energy Public Toilet Energy Supply £72.29
Goldservice Contract Cleaning Ltd Public Toilet Cleaning Contract £225.34
Information Commissions’ Office Annual Subscription £35.00
a. Future Parish Swathe Cutting: Final quotes awaited two had been received, one in excess of £1000 with one approximately half this – both from highly recommended contractors.
b. Public Toilets: South East Water, Southern Water, EDF, Cleaning Contractors, SDC (Rates) and Penshurst Place all advised that the PC would be closing the public toilets with effect from 31 March 2013. Minor interior vandalism occurred during early February, problems with timers on the door locks also reported.
c. Village Weed Control: Quotation for weed treatment in parish, clerk to get update on current areas treated.
8. CORRESPONDENCE: None
9. ANY OTHER BUSINESS:
a. Highways Lengthsman: The gulley from the Poundsbridge Manor on the left hand side towards Speldhurst required clearing.
b. PORC: Clerk asked to check current situation with regard to tree removal.
c. Flytipping: Clerk to report rubbish between Hickmotts and the Poundsbridge Manor and near Meadow Wood.
d. Potholes: Clerk to report potholes by Barnfield.
Meeting concluded 9 pm Next Meeting 2 April (Penshurst)
& 8 April (Annual Parish Assembly) (Fordcombe)