Ordinary Meeting Minutes 4/02/2013

PENSHURST PARISH COUNCIL
Minutes of the Ordinary Meeting of Penshurst Parish Council to be held on Monday 4 February 2013 at 7.45 pm in Penshurst Village Hall
1. PRESENT: Cllrs J Cass (Chairman), J Broadhead, A Campbell, Mrs D Broad, I Carson, S Frederick, J Horsford, J O’Shea, B Townsend
APOLOGIES: SDCllr P Cooke
2. MINUTES OF MEETING HELD ON 3 December 2012, having been circulated were approved and signed by the Chairman.
Declarations of interests in agenda items
If a Member has a disclosable pecuniary interest in an item of business this must be declared at the start of the meeting, unless dispensation has been granted. The member may not participate in any discussion, vote or discharge any function related to that business.
Non-pecuniary interests may be declared at this point if not already registered. Members with a non-pecuniary interest may speak on the subject if members of the public can do so but may not vote. NONE
OPEN SESSION
The Chairman reported that a request for a Judicial Review in relation to the SDC approval of planning for affordable housing on Forge Field had been submitted to the High Court.
Parishioners asked that the PC contact the diocese again regarding the removal of the areas of the New Rectory boundary hedge overhanging the carriageway in order that this be cut back to its original line which was with the boundary wall. Hedging at Poundsbridge/Speldhurst Road also required cutting. Clerk to action.
Clerk to request salt bins at 6/8 Glebelands (59993) and by Fordcombe Village Hall (59995) be filled.
It was reported that a footpath Bridge at Poundsbridge had collapsed, clerk advised this had been reported, (This should be repaired by the end of the week).
The performance of Kent Highways during the recent snow was praised.
Clerk to report problems with water on the road due to ineffective ditches/drainage between Poundsbridge Manor and Swaylands.
Mr Johnson updated members on the coach road bridge which had been inspected towards the end of January, this continued to be monitored.
3. PLANNING
Applications:
SE/12/02795/6/LBC: Old Surrenden, Walters Green Road, Penshurst: Replace flat roof on existing rear dormer window with pitched roof, repair pitched tile roofing, replace metal windows to two front dormer windows with hardwood windows, replace plastic rainwater goods with metal rainwater goods. PC Support application including change from Crittal windows to oak frames but would ask if perhaps the previous lead light design could be retained.
12/028956 LBC :Old Surrenden, Walters Green Road, Penshurst: Convert rear garage into living accommodation and to include changes to fenestration, with extensions and alterations to the roof. Replace flat roof on existing rear dormer window with pitched roof. PC Support but would prefer the use of tiles as originally requested rather than slates as now suggested.
SE/12/02900: Lilac Cottage, Penshurst Road, Penshurst: Demolition of existing garage building, and erection of new oak framed garage with log store. PC Support
SE/13/0056: Meads, Fordcombe Road, Penshurst: Demolition of existing garage and conservatory. Single storey front/side extension to replace conservatory and garage with balcony to first floor above the front extension and three rooflights to side extension; erection of two storey rear extension; one rooflight to second floor west elevation. PC Support
Lawful Development Certificate:
SE/12/02985/LDCPR: Land North of Swaylands School Farm, Penshurst Road: Erection of single dwelling house in accordance with the details approved under Planning Permission SE/02/0100/FUL
The PC welcome the opportunity to comment on this issue. If the current application has not deviated from the original approval issued during 2003, including its allied S.106 Agreement, the PC will be happy to leave this to the discretion of the legal officers. The only two points we would raise for your information would be
The PC’s assumption that all conditions etc. contained in the original planning approval will have been passed on to the succession of new owners of the property and
the impact the overall timescale has had on the project in its entirety ie the necessity to complete the works to the original house prior to the enabling aspect of the work to be commenced and affect this might have had on this current application.
Tree Surgery:
SE/12/03253: Lilac Cottage, Rogues Hill, Penshurst: Removal of Leyland to flat sawn stump.
Decisions:
SE/12/02634: Gate Cottage, The Lane, Fordcombe: Demolition of existing shed and garage, erection of new garage and garden room. GRANTED
SE/12/02901LBC & 02900: Lilac Cottage, Penshurst Road, Penshurst: Demolition of existing garage building. Erection of new oak framed garage with log store. GRANTED
SE/12/02795LBC/02895/6LBC: Old Surrenden, Walters Green Road, Penshurst: Repair pitched tile roofing, replace metal windows to two front dormer windows with hardwood windows, replace plastic rainwater goods with metal rainwater goods. Convert rear garage into living accommodation to include changes to fenestration, with extensions and alterations to the roof. Replace flat roof on existing rear dormer window with pitched roof. GRANTED
SE/12/03045: The Grove Cottage, Grove Road, Penshurst: Demolition of existing terrace deck and erection of a new terrace deck to the North side. GRANTED
SE/11/01873: The Bungalow, Daneby Hall, The Lane, Fordcombe: Use of part of existing single storey building for residential living accommodation. REFUSED
SE/12/02831: Larkfield House, Saints Hill, Penshurst: Demolition of existing porch and two outbuildings. Erection of two storey front/side extension; rear extension including first floor balcony. Construction of basement. Alterations to roof and fenestration. GRANTED
General:
SE/12/02710: 1 Well Place Cottages, Rogues Hill, Penshurst: Erection of single storey rear extension. Application no longer valid.
Affordable Housing – Forge Field: Cllr Mrs Broad and the clerk had been approached regarding allocation of proposed affordable housing for the Forge Field site in the parish, parishioners were requested to direct enquiries to West Kent Housing.
4. MATTERS ARISING:
a. Warren/Bottle House Allotments: Letters forwarded to allotment holders as required, one allotment holder was relinquishing his unit, another had been unwell but intended to bring the unit up to standard during the spring.
5. REPORTS:
a. Kent County Councillor: KCCllr Lake provided an update on the provision of zigzag lines and accompanying signage at Fordcombe School, the PC had received letters of support for the proposal and also objections. (Further note under 6a). An approach had been made for a 20MPH limit through the villages, Cllr Lake supported this. Cllr Lake provided publications for members obtained at the Gatwick Noise Seminar, the airport authority had advised they were prepared to fund another runway by 2019, concerns were raised at the impact on the infrastructure and consequent cost to the taxpayer. The anti skid surfacing work was still awaited. Cllr Lake praised the work of Kent Highways during the poor weather. The residents of Glebelands appreciated the provision of the salt bin which had been invaluable recently.
b. Sevenoaks District Councillor: No Report
c. KALC: No report. The Chairman asked that if any member was unable to attend a meeting on behalf of the PC they contact colleagues to find a stand in if possible.
d. Alms Houses: Six applications had been received for the vacant units. A meeting was to be held to discuss the work and applications. The Trustees had decided to substantially refurbish all the apartments. Quotations for the work involved were awaited this week, a decision was anticipated within a month with the work being completed within a further two months. A programme of refurbishment would be undertaken as the units became empty.
e. Neighbourhood Watch: Fraudsters were working in the Tonbridge area, they were telephoning the elderly saying they were police officers to obtain bank details, the Police confirm they would never do this. Fuel oil had been stolen from a farm.
f. Speedwatch: The recent weather conditions had made speed checks impossible. The school Governors were very supportive of the PC’s plans and further discussions were being held to consider options available prior to a new speed indicator machine being purchased. A speed check recently undertaken on Rogues Hill identified two drivers exceeding the limit. Clerk to contact Laura Squires regarding the permanent sign awaited.
6. HIGHWAYS:
a. Penshurst School Access: Signage promised: Bridleway SR48 – near Meadow Corner and the track down to Nashes Farm; on the verge near to No. 3 New Road and on the verge between 1 and 2 Glebelands (adjacent to Penshurst Village name sign). Installation of signage completed. It was agreed the sign installed by Burzes Cottages was ineffective and should be placed hearer to Long Bridge, clerk to contract Steven Noad. Penshurst Estate acknowledged request for support in requesting landowners keep hedges trimmed to aid safe pedestrian access to school from New Road route.
b. Penshurst Rectory Hedge: See note under Open Session.
c. Reported Faults Update:
Ref: 43360: Culvert outside Alms Houses, Rogues Hill. This work had been undertaken by Rob Sellings and to date had been effective.
Ref: 49302: Cats’ eyes replaced.
Ref: 49751: Lack of zigzag signs outside Fordcombe Primary school reported. Report included in parish magazine, letters both in support and against the issue received by PC for proposal. Clerk to speak to Headteacher and approach Steven Noad.
Ref: 49299/49750: Fordcombe Road junction with Glebelands – Primary School: puddling adjacent to pavement causing problems for pedestrian using route to school. (49299 – Highways ringing back; 49750 Road profile causing flooding, issue re-assigned for action to relevant department).
Ref: 49301: Poundsbridge Lane edging/gravel replacement and possible plastic warning posts adjacent to deep ditches. Website indicates works completed 8 November. (Worst affected areas actioned, clerk requested further site inspection – now under reference No. 17425664)
Glebelands Pavement 11/12: Clerk to check current situation, no further work undertaken.
Ref: 53305: Laying water reported on road between Poundsbridge and Barden Road. Website indicates work completed 18 December.
Ref: 42889: Laying water reported on road opposite Poundsbridge Lane/Marlpit Lane. Outstanding since 23 May 2012. Passed to contractors for action within 28 days but no further information available, issued being raised again under new Ref: 17006636. Website indicates work completed 3 December.
Ref: 53307: Laying water reported opposite Latymers – Forge Garage. Website indicates work completed 2 January.
Ref: 53311: Laying water reported between Petersfield and Birches on Fordcombe Road. Website indicate issue resolved 11 December. (Issue now Ref: 53310, passed to drainage engineer for action.)
Ref: 54537: Sunken drains covers at junction of Fordcombe Road/The Lane plus one further along the Fordcombe Road Clerk advised further work to be carried out.
Ref: 56792: Site visit made 9 January, initial work completed further work identified as being required.
Ref: 57757: Potholes reported from Chafford Bridge – Bradley Lane – Top Hill, site visit made 17 January, work now shown as completed.
Poundsbridge Church: Clerk contacted Highway Officer regarding bollards installed adjacent to the
Wall and ditch collapse, report on situation awaited.
Bus Stop: Clerk to contact landowner to cut back branches covering paved bus stop area at Glebelands
7. FINANCE:
The following accounts were presented and approved for payment:
Goldservice Contract Cleaning Ltd Public Toilet Cleaning Contract £450.68
SDC Bulk Freighter £159.60
RIP Cleaning Services Dog Waste Removal £97.20
KCC Gangmowing £92.32
Penshurst Village Hall Penshurst Hall Hire £66.00
Mr I Streeter Lengthsman £86.00
a. Future Parish Swathe Cutting: Requests for quotations sent out to five local contractors, terms and conditions of contract prepared.
b. Public Toilets: Clerk had previously provided detailed costs for the facility for members which showed an annual running cost of £6K not including building maintenance and repairs which could prove costly. Notices were placed in the toilets and information, including the costs had been provided for the parish magazines confirming the PC would consider the future of the facility at the February PC meeting. Clerk received responses from three residents and two walkers to maintain the facility and one resident in favour of closure. The Chairman proposed that the unit be closed with effect from 1 April 2013, this was carried by seven votes to one with one abstention. Clerk to action, also to ask if sign could be provided on the facility indicating toilet facilities would be available near the proposed Tea Shop at Penshurst Place.
c. Quarterly Accounts: Clerk provided quarterly accounts for members, these were noted.
d. Bulk Freighter: Confirmation of proposed dates: 2 March, 15 June and 12 October. 7.45 – 8.30 am – Layby by Latymers; 8.45 – 9.30 am – Layby outside Fordcombe Village Hall.
8. CORRESPONDENCE:
a. Arnold Hills Hall: Request for PC member to be nominated to serve as Elected Representative Member to Trust. Chairman asked Cllr Mrs Broad if she was prepared to continue in post, she confirmed she was unless anyone else wished to take on the responsibility. Cllr Mrs Broad was confirmed for the post, clerk to action.
b. Secretary, The Glebe (Penshurst) Residents’ Association: Letter received advising that in response to PC request, hedging had been cut back along the boundary of The Glebe, including a length still owned by the original developer which was not the responsibility of the Association, however, this should not be taken as setting a precedent for the future. The Association also hoped that other hedges in the village would be kept cut back, particularly along narrow sections of pavement in the village centre where overgrown hedges force pedestrians to walk dangerously close to traffic.
c. SDC: Notification regarding councillors who had not submitted their Notifications of Pecuniary and Non-Pecuniary Interests in accordance with change of Code of Conduct.
9. ANY OTHER BUSINESS:
a. Reminder: 2013 Meetings: Penshurst: 4 February, 2 April, 3 June, 5 August, 7 October, 2 December. Meetings to commence at 7.45 pm at Penshurst venue only.
Fordcombe: 4 March, 8 April (Annual Parish Assembly), 7 May, 1 July, 2 September, 4 November.
b. Fordcombe Noticeboard: Clerk to obtain information on current designs and costs.
Meeting concluded 8.50 pm Next Meeting 4 March 2013 – Fordcombe