Ordinary Meeting Minutes 3/10/2011

 

PENSHURST PARISH COUNCIL

Minutes of the Ordinary Meeting of Penshurst Parish Council held on Monday 3 October at 7.30 pm in Penshurst Village Hall.

 

1. PRESENT: Cllrs J Cass (Chairman), Mrs D Broad, J Broadhead, A Campbell, I Carson, S Frederick, J Horsford, J O’Shea (Advised late arrival)

 

APOLOGIES: Cllr B Townsend. This was approved. SDCllr P Cooke

 

2. MINUTES OF MEETING HELD ON 5 September, having been circulated were approved and signed by the Chairman.

 

Declarations of Interest in Agenda Items
If a Member has a prejudicial interest, this should be declared at the start of the meeting.
Personal interests may be declared at this point or alternatively can be declared at the time when the specific item is being discussed, if a Member wishes to speak on an item in which s/he has a personal interest. NONE

 

OPEN SESSION:
Chairman advised no application had been received for the affordable housing. It was planned to have the plans on show in both Penshurst and Fordcombe village halls when available on three occasions, notices would be posted on the PC boards and information on the website regarding dates and times. Councillors were also asked to pass on the information to parishioners. Clerk to invite representatives of the estate and WKHA to attend the presentations or November meeting which would be held in Penshurst. The timing of the provision of planning papers and date for submission of response was not anticipated to cause a problem in relation to the scheduled meeting of the PC.
A member of the public requested the large plastic temporary sign attached to the rectory hedge be removed as it was considered an eyesore on the central area of the village, another member of the audience confirmed this had been in situe for two days longer than planned and would be removed.

 

3. PLANNING:

 

Applications:

 

SE/11/02132: Hamsell, Coopers Lane, Penshurst, Tonbridge: Removal of all existing softwood windows on all aspects of property, replace with bespoke build, hardwood, slim-line, double glazed casement windows. No Comment

 

SE/11/01045: Lane Cottage, The Lane, Fordcombe: Extension to house replacing existing extension, replacement of existing double garage and stable with new in slightly different location, change of use of garage to pool room. No Comment

 

SE/11/00815: Highfield House, The Lane, Fordcombe: Proposed tennis court; size 34m x 17m surrounded by 2.75m high chain link fence. Surface material green colour macadam.

 

Tree Surgery:

 

SE/11/02336/WTPO: Tall Trees, Smarts Hill, Penshurst: Various work to trees. No comment

 

4. MATTERS ARISING:

 

a. Speedwatch/Speed Indicator Sign: Cllr Carson confirmed responses were beginning to arrive to the newsletter article. There was a dispute regarding the data provided by the SID unit and data collected by the Speedwatch teams regarding the volume of traffic. Cllr Broadhead advised that the Speedwatch element was effective if undertaken regularly but was labour intensive, Cllr Mrs Broad advised there had been a number of volunteers who had undertaken the work previously. Matter ongoing.

 

?

 

b. Rural Swathe Mowing: Poundsbridge Lane reported (30868), website indicates matter resolved. Up to date list of areas covered by verge and swathe mowing provided, clerk approached by other neighbouring parishes to discuss possibility of joint action to appoint contractors to carry out work with funds being delegated by county to parish level.

 

c. Footpaths/Pavements: Clerk advised by Jim Latheron (SDC) that bid for funding for repair of pavement adjacent to 11-13 Glebelands being made, if funds available repairs will be undertaken. No further news received at date of meeting.

 

d. Salt Bins: The Spotted Dog were willing to fund the provision of a salt bin at their site. Clerk aware that possibility of salt supplies for winter being considered by highways but no decision made. Possibility of PC insurance cover being increased to carry out gritting/salting.

 

e. Graffiti: Cllr Mrs Broad to report on approach to Head Gardner regarding graffiti on wall – matter deferred from previous meeting. Further graffiti had appeared in the parish on the surface of the Coach Road between the gate and the Leigh Road. The police and SDC had been advised but these had not been removed at date of meeting. Clerk to obtain anti graffiti kit for use when necessary, church wall area also to be treated.

 

f. Bulk Refuse Freighter: Clerk had made arrangements for the bulk refuse lorry to visit both Fordcombe and Penshurst on the 10 December, final dates, times and sites to be advised. Clerk also arranging provision of refuse freighter for Chiddingstone and Leigh in conjunction with their clerk.

 

g. Bottle Bank: Advice received from Ben Thomas that only site on the estate considered suitable for this facility would be close to three tenants living adjacent, due to the nuisance value and also the potential litter and security issues the estate was unwilling to authorise the installation.

 

h. Bus Service: Report received from Kent Karrier that there are 12 regular passengers from Penshurst Parish from both Fordcombe and Penshurst. Clerk had provided further information for the Chairman regarding the options available to pass on to the Over 60’s club. A partially blind resident in Fordcombe praised the current service which was much appreciated. Members were reminded the service was available to the disabled and those over 500m away from a bus stop.

 

i. Public Toilets: Contract received from SDC for signature. Clerk to cost in the provision of new doors with pay slots and finger post sign for the precept discussion. Chairman recorded the thanks of the PC for the clerk’s work in this matter.

 

5. REPORTS:

 

a. Swaylands: Sales office now moved to No. 10 Woodgate.

 

b. Kent County Councillor: Cllr Lake had discussed the highway problems in the parish with Julian Cooke of KCC at length, he was supportive of local neighbouring parishes working together to appoint their own contractors to carry out verge and swathe mowing and have the funds delegated by KCC. Work was due to commence on October 24 in Poundsbridge to repair the damage caused by the diversion route used, this should take no longer than two weeks, Cllr Lake had asked for an engineer to visit and inspect other areas. Planning guidance had been released, although this was already being revised, the document would be available for consultation, one issue being covered was more housing on brown field sites. Council tax would be frozen for a further year although no guarantee that the police or fire sections would follow this route. Councils affected by aircraft noise were submitting opinion to Gatwick Airport, it was hoped a steeper descent might be possible to alleviate some problems plus opting for a route over Ashdown Forest. Salt bags should be available again this winter, parishes were permitted to purchase further salt bins but must seek permission if siting on county land. It was important that parishioners cut back hedging as far as possible in order to provide maximum space for pedestrians to walk more safely along the country roads.

 

c. Sevenoaks District Councillor: No report

 

d. KALC: Cllr Broadhead advised the topic for discussion had been Broadband coverage in the area and plans to improve same in the future.

 

e. Alms Houses: Cllr O’Shea reported that two units were affected by severe damp, one quote had been obtained but a further survey was being undertaken. A meeting of all Trustees was scheduled for 10 October in Penshurst Village Hall. One of the residents is in Pembury Hospital.

 

f. Neighbourhood Watch: A 4 x 4 vehicle was set on fire in Coldharbour Road, police were investigating ownership. A strimmer and chainsaw had been stolen from a property in Walters Green Road, a car parked in a Chafford Lane driveway was vandalised with a key and two outbuildings belonging to a property on Rogues Hill were broken into and a lawnmower taken.

 

6. HIGHWAYS:

 

White Lining Problems with road marking ie white and yellow lining, cats’ eyes and sunken drains reported under reference 29233, shown on website as reported 5 July and still under investigation as of 15 September 2011.

 

Pathway: Advice received from Ben Thomas that a viable site adjacent to the road falls under the tenant’s farm business tenancy and the countryside stewardship scheme dictates that the field headlands are to be kept clear of all traffic, pedestrian or otherwise. A further concern for the estate would be the establishing of a right of way if permission were granted for regular use of the field as a footpath which could have potential adverse ramifications. At the moment the estate is unable to offer any help but will keep the issue under review.

 

Road Condition: Further information awaited on condition of diversion route and any further repairs, clerk advised that funding only available at present time for work as already indicated.

 

Pavement – Fordcombe Road, Penshurst: Clerk met highways officer on site together with resident, problems identified, areas marked for work required.

 

7. FINANCE:
The following accounts were presented and approved for payment.

 

Mr I Streeter Lengthsman 94.00
RIP Cleaning Services Dog Waste Removal 54.00
SDC Election Costs 969.46
Goldservice Contract Cleaning Ltd Public Toilet Cleaning/ 475.49
Consumables End Aug/Sept

 

a. Bus Shelter/Tree: Clerk requested Colin Viccars give opinion on overhanging branch at bus stop on Fordcombe Green, branch subsequently removed free of charge, members registered their thanks to Colin Viccars for arranging same. Cllr Carson to check condition of oak tree in Fordcombe Churchyard.

 

b. Precept: Clerk circulated the first draft figures for the precept for 2012/13 for consideration by members, update on any projects identified required one week prior to next meeting, final decision to be taken at December meeting. Extra costs for consideration during 2012/13 to include Family Fun Day, bulk refuse freighter, fire chest for parish records, bus service, tree surgery in Fordcombe churchyard.

 

8. CORRESPONDENCE:

 

a. SDC: LDF Open Space Allocations for Consultation. Document available on SDC website at www.sevenoaks.gov.uk/ldfconsultations with comments being forwarded to: http://sevenoaks-consult.limehouse.co.uk/portal/; email to ldf.consultation@sevenoaks.gov.uk or by post to Planning Policy, SDC Argyle road, Sevenoaks TN13 1HG

 

b. South East Water: Information on current maintenance work being undertaken.

 

c. Boundary Commission for England: Consultation until 5 December on proposals for new Parliamentary constituencies in England, information available on www.independent.gov.uk/boundarycommissionforengland

 

9. ANY OTHER BUSINESS:

 

a. Parish/Neighbourhood Plan: Clerk forwarded information to Cllrs Carson and Broadhead to assist in investigation of work and costs involved prior to reporting back to PC, Cllr Carson confirmed there was a substantial amount of work involved in the procedure and would report to members at a later date.

 

b. Spring Hill: Water leaks were reported again.

 

c. Drive – Penshurst Road: Clerk to check eligibility criteria for ‘Concealed Drive’ signage.

 

d. School Access: Cllr Carson to liaise with Cllr Cass regarding pedestrian access for children attending Penshurst school and advising Headteacher and Chairman of Governors.

 

Meeting concluded at 8.50 pm Next Meeting 7 November 2011 – Penshurst

.