Ordinary Meeting Minutes 2/03/2009

 

PENSHURST PARISH COUNCIL 
Minutes of the Ordinary Meeting of Penshurst Parish Council held on Monday 2 March at 7.30 pm in Fordcombe Village Hall
 
1.            PRESENT:   Cllr Mrs D Broad (Chairman), A Campbell, S Frederick, D Geal, M Gilbert, Mrs A Hill, R Horsford, R Sellings
 
APOLOGIES:    Cllr C Viccars.    Approved.
 
2.            MINUTES OF MEETING HELD ON 9 February 2009 having been circulated, were approved and signed by the Chairman.
 
Declarations of Interest in Agenda Items:     
If a Member has a prejudicial interest, this should be declared at the start of the meeting.
Personal interests may be declared at this point or alternatively can be declared at the time when the specific item is being discussed, if a Member wishes to speak on an item in which s/he has a personal interest.      NONE
3.            MATTERS ARISING:
 
a.            Housing Survey:  The detailed survey results had been circulated to councillors for perusal prior to the meeting.   A need of approximately five properties had been identified which was in line with the previous survey.   A mixture of one and two bedroom units would be suitable.   Affordable rental was preferred in view of the current economic climate and consequent expenses of share ownership. Richard Hall, the Housing Enabler would investigate possible options suggested by councillors and report back.
 
b.            Fordcombe Hospital Bus Stop:    Cllr Viccars was not at the meeting therefore the matter was deferred for the next meeting.
 
c.            Rubbish Bins:   Work was in hand for these to be repainted, Cllr Geal was obtaining suitable paint for Cllr Sellings to carry out the work.                                      
 
d.            Flooding: Cllr Horsford advised the area had an existing stream running through the site, in view of the exceptional rainfall in recent weeks this had produced an unprecedented flow of water.   
 
e.         Gas Supply: Information obtained by clerk that applications can be made by residents for supply of gas, this information had been passed on to the parishioner.   The local MP had become involved in the matter and welcomed approaches from parishioners who might be interested in obtaining a gas supply in the parish, they were therefore encouraged to write to Sir John Stanley MP, House of Commons, London, SW1A 0AA to register their interest in order that he could build up a case for submission to the suppliers.
f.          Public Toilets:   SDC were scheduled to discuss the closure of public toilets at their meeting on the 24 February 2009 and deferred this issue in order to discuss the matter further with the Parish Council. A date for a meeting was awaited, Cllrs Geal, Mrs Hill and Sellings would like to take part. 
g.         Boxing Day Hunt:   Mr Pegrum had offered to meet with councillors to discuss the Boxing Day Hunt although no firm dates had been provided for consideration, Cllr Mrs Broad would discuss this with Mr Pegrum.
 
h.             Pharmacy Application: Clerk advised notification had been received that day of a meeting scheduled for 19 March 2009 at 10 am at Wharf House in Tonbridge regarding the pharmacy application. The PC had submitted objections to the proposal as had local doctors, Boots, Paydens and a number of other organisations.
4.            REPORTS:
 
a.            Swaylands:  Cllr Sellings advised no work was being undertaken at the site although there was 24/7 security.
 
b.         Kent County Councillor:    Clerk had been advised by the Civic Officer that Cllr Lake would not be able to attend the meeting but wished to advise that he had reported potholes in the Penshurst area, extra gangs were now working to cope with the damage caused by the recent poor weather.   Cllr Lake confirmed he would be attending the PCT meeting on the 19 March in Tonbridge.
 
c.            Sevenoaks District Councillor:      No report
 
d.         KALC:      Cllr Mrs Hill advised the main topic at the recent meeting had been PACT (Partners and Communities Together).   The police were not sure of its success in rural areas, although it seemed to work more successfully in towns.
 
e.         Community Officer:      PCSO King Scott reported on a burned out vehicle behind the church at Poundsbridge, it was possible this had been stolen. There had been a break in at a house in Poundsbridge and a number of dogs had gone missing locally.   She had been attending a regular police surgery at the Farmers’ Market in Penshurst.    It was confirmed that the Penshurst Fete was scheduled for the 14 June, police motor cyclists hoped to attend.   Cllr Horsford advised of an attempted break in at a local farm, she would visit the site.
5.            HIGHWAYS:  
              
Liaison Officer Visit:   Cllr Gilbert confirmed he and Cllr Viccars had attended the recent information road show covering the new database to be introduced by highways.   This would enable parishes to access a parish portal giving maps to assist in reporting problems, reference number would be automatically generated.   Jobs in hand could also be tracked.   It was anticipated the system would be running by April.
Email canvas regarding highways resulted in initial response from parishes, copies of comments tabled for members.   Clerk to invite any interested parishes to meet prior to the next PC meeting.
Reported Items:     Item 10002224 – Priority lines at Long Bridge The current spread sheet indicated this matter had been re-assigned; Item 16229893 – Coopers Lane flooding into church: Cllr Gilbert advised this work would be undertaken at the same time as repair works scheduled for Poundsbridge Hill junction.   School Warning Sign:   This was adjusted on 17 February, clerk subsequently advised this was still not correct, reported again under reference number 10002385.   (Rang to arrange for key to be despatched, call centre confirmed this would be sent out within 2/3 days)
Junction The Lane/Chafford Lane:   As SDCllr Cooke was not at the meeting, this was deferred.
 
Remodelling of High Street/Leigh Road Junction:  Spread sheet indicated this issue had been noted for re-assessment.                            
Slippery Footpath Paving – South Side of High Street, Penshurst: Issue passed by Steven Noad to Steve Smith, Community Delivery Team Leader for response after contact by KCCllr Lake. Clerk to contact and advise that PC have quotation for work and ask for permission to complete.
OPEN SESSION   
Recent problems caused by faulty traffic lights and lack of contact details for the contractors were recorded
PC were asked to ensure Hedgecutting was carried out to minimise disruption during bird nesting season
Clerk to write to diocese regarding dangerous state of rectory wall at Penshurst after recent removal of ivy
6.            PLANNING:
 
PLANNING APPLICATIONS:     
SE/09/00314: 3 Pioneer Cottages, Smarts Hill, Penshurst: Erection of a two storey rear extension and alterations
 
DECISIONS:
SE/08/03314: Oakfield, Smarts Hill, PenshurstAlterations to the south west wing GRANTED
SE/08/03288/03293LBC: Holts Crest, Coopers Lane, Fordcombe: Erection of single and two storey side extension GRANTED
SE/08/03265: Chafford House, Spring Hill, Fordcombe: Replacement garage with increased footprint, incorporating summerhouse and tractor shed.    REFUSED
 
7.            CORRESPONDENCE:
 
a.            Highways Agency: Notification of work to dead, dying and hazardous trees.
b.         SDC: Notice of exhibition and public meeting regarding the SDC Local Development Framework
c.         West Kent Mediation: Annual Newsletter and information booklets
d.            Fordcombe Village Hall Committee:   Letter of thanks for offer of donation towards roof repairs
8.            FINANCE:
 
The following accounts were presented and approved for payment.         
Mr I Streeter                                          Lengthsman                                                         78.00
Mr M Gilbert                                           Reimbursement for Seat Plaque                              79.90
Fordcombe Village Hall                                Donation for Roof Repairs                         1000.00
Welcome Printing                         Stationery/Photocopying May – December 08             79.00
Information Commissioner                Data Protection Act Fee                                               35.00
Mrs E M Divall                                        Clerk Salary Feb/Mar & Expenses Dec-Mar       1434.12
a.   Penshurst Churchyard Path:    Quotations from contractors indicate a cost of £10 and £6.50 per sq m for shot blasting surface, written quotation received, decision awaiting outcome of highways response to PC carrying out work on pavement.
 
b.    Landscape Services:   Quotation for swathe mowing and hedge cutting provided for consideration. It was agreed this decision be deferred until later in the growing season.
9.         ANY OTHER BUSINESS:
a.            Fordcombe Play Equipment/Car Parking: The possible provision of new equipment was now being dealt with by a separate committee.   Cllr Gilbert advised that a questionnaire was being circulated regarding this project.
b.         Car Park Penshurst:   Members were advised that since Mr I Scott had left as Estate Manager at Penshurst nothing further had been discussed with regard to this issue.
c.            Penshurst Village Hall Pathway:   Clerk to check whether this work was being completed.
d.         Spring Hill:   Cllr Horsford was of the opinion that persistently running water on Spring Hill may be due to a mains leak, this had been reported to Souther Water.
e.            Chairman:   Cllr Gilbert had been advised by Cllr Viccars that he would be unable to stand as Chairman for the ensuing year due to family commitments. 
 
Meeting concluded at 9 pm                                           Next Meeting 6 April 2009 – Penshurst