Ordinary Meeting Minutes 2/02/2015

PENSHURST PARISH COUNCIL

Minutes for the Ordinary Meeting of Penshurst Parish Council held on Monday 2 February 2015 at 7.45 pm in Penshurst Village Hall

1.            PRESENT:    Cllrs J Cass (Chairman), Mrs D Broad, A Campbell, I Carson, Cllr S Frederick, J Horsford, J O’Shea, B Townsend.

In Attendance:  Mr R Sellings (Speedwatch & Swaylands)

 

APOLOGIES:    KCCllr C Pearman, SDCllr P Cooke, Cllr J Broadhead (Apologies received via email)

Elections in May:    Elections will be held on 7 May 2015.   Application papers will be available from 31 March and must be submitted by 9 April, final Statement of Persons Nominated will be available on 10 April.

2.         MINUTES OF MEETING HELD ON 1 December 2014, having been circulated, were approved and signed by the Chairman.

Cllr O’Shea asked for clarification on the payment to GON.  Clerk confirmed that provision had been made in the precept for a total of £1K to be awarded to the GON organisation if needed.  GON were again asked to provide accounts to show details of financial activities at such time as they needed to apply for public funding to be paid.

 

Declarations of interests in agenda items

If a Member has a disclosable pecuniary interest in an item of business this must be declared at the start of the meeting, unless dispensation has been granted.  The member may not participate in any discussion, vote or discharge any function related to that business.

Non-pecuniary interests may be declared at this point if not already registered.  Members with a non-pecuniary interest may speak on the subject if members of the public can do so but may not vote.

Cllr J Horsford:  Recorded a disclosable pecuniary interest under Item 8d – Gang Mowing.

 

3.         OPEN SESSION

The issue of the alteration to running times of buses serving Fordcombe was raised, some services had been cancelled and the last available bus back from Tunbridge Wells leaves at 5 pm.  Clerk to write and ask for further information on this KCC supported service.

 

4.        PLANNING

Applications:

3SE/14/03418:  The Sheiling, Coopers Lane, Penshurst:   Erection single storey extension with chimney to south east elevation (side) and erection of single storey conservatory to north west elevation (side).  Conversion of existing roof space into bedroom, bathroom and study.  Addition of two dormer windows and alterations to fenestration.   PC Support as long as the 50% rule has not been exceeded.   (Emails etc received from parties involved.) Advice received from SDC that application no longer valid, therefore not currently under consideration, subsequent provision of update covering amended site location and block plan to re-activate application.   Amendment Received:  Conversion of roof space and addition of two dormer windows removed from the proposal.      PC Support

SE/14/03895:  The Sheiling, Coopers Lane, Penshurst:  1.8m high close boarded fence set within house cartilage 600m from boundary.    Amendment Received:  Measurement of proposal amended to read 600 mm.    PC Support PROW decision on issue.

SE/14/03063:  Birling Cottages, Coldharbour Road, Penshurst:  Erection of two storey rear extension and detached garage.      PC Support

SE/14/03629:  1 Moat Cottages, Doubleton Lane, Penshurst:  Internal re-arrangements, new linking roof in valley between the two existing pitched roofs with addition of roof light.   PC Support

SE/14/03819:  April Cottage, The Lane, Fordcombe:  Erection of single storey side extension.   PC Support

SE/14/03892:  Penshurst Place Estate, Penshurst:  Proposed plant room, fisheries lodge, welfare facilities, workshop and below-ground fuel store to replace existing structure.   PC Support

SE/14/03773:  The Bungalow, Daneby Hall, The Lane, Fordcombe:  Change of use of part of existing building to residential accommodation (Retrospective)   The PC have concerns and reservations over this proposed retrospective change of use, we are not completely happy with the history of this site development over many years.   PC will support the decision of SDC Planning.

SE/14/03903:  Chafford Park Cottage, Chafford Lane, Fordcombe:  Two storey side and single rear extension with west facing dormer.  Addition of roof canopy over entrance on south elevation.   PC unable to discuss with applicant or gain access to site, will leave to officer for decision.

SE/14/03955:  Woodside Kennels, Penshurst Road, Penshurst:  Demolition of existing outbuildings within residential cartilage, construction of new outbuilding and garden wall, amendments to soft landscaping.   PC Support

SE/14/03882:  Hammerfield Cottage, Penshurst Road, Penshurst:  Four replacement windows to property.

Se/14/03033:  Netherwood, Smarts Hill, Penshurst:  Demolition of conservatory, erection of a front extension, verandah to front and side, loft conversion with dormer window, alterations to fenestration and creation of terrace area.   APPLICATION TREATED AS WITHDRAWN

 

Decisions:

SE/14/03134:  The Leicester Arms Hotel, High Street, Penshurst:  Alteration to car park layout and garden at rear of premises.   GRANTED

SE/14/03222:  3 The Green, Spring Hill, Fordcombe:  Demolition of sun room and replace with a single storey rear extension.  GRANTED

SE/14/03135/LBC:  The Leicester Arms Hotel, High Street, Penshurst:  Alterations to car park layout and garden at rear of premises.   Application treated as withdrawn.

SE/14/03351:  The Old Laundry, The Lane, Fordcombe:  Demolition of rear extension, erection of replacement extension, provision of new roof windows.    GRANTED

SE/14/03063:   Birling Cottage, Coldharbour Road, Penshurst:  Erection of two storey rear extension and detached garage.   REFUSED

SE/14/03629:  1 Moat Cottages, Doubleton Lane, Penshurst:  Internal re-arrangements, new linking roof in valley between the two existing pitched roofs with the addition of roof light.   GRANTED

 

Tree Surgery:

SE/14/03733:  Fordcombe Village Hall, Spring Hill, Fordcombe:  Remove dead wood and branches to a group of Ash Trees (TPO)

SE/15/00113:  Birches, Fordcombe Road, Penshurst:  Various works to trees: birch, cedar (to be lopped), eucalyptus, elder, holly, laurel, prunus, silver birch, yew. (Full details on SDC website)

 

SDC/Affordable Housing Enabler:  2nd Stage Survey:

A meeting held between PC, WKHA, Becket Trust, SDC, Penshurst Estate at SDC had scheduled site visits to consider all possible sites notified as a result of the housing survey and notices on the PC boards and website.   A total of 23 sites had been put forward by the due date of 26 January by Becket Trust architects appointed to carry out an independent survey.    Cllr Cass confirmed that sites put forward must be confirmed as available.   SDC would be providing the list of sites for the PC on 4 February and the inspection would take place on the 6 February; provision had been made for further inspection of any outstanding sites on the 13 February.   The original date for inspection had been postponed at the request of Cllr Broadhead as he was unable to attend.  Cllr Cass advised the clerk had emailed members to ask which of Cllrs Broadhead, Carson or O’Shea would be attending.  No decision had been made at date of meeting but whoever was attending should meet at Forge Field at 10 am on 6 February.  Cllr Carson’s email system had not been working during this period, clerk confirmed she was aware of this and had requested Cllr O’Shea keep Cllr Carson up to date on the issue.  The tour would start at Forge Field, no input could be made by anyone attending, the SDC officers were collecting the data required to identify sites meeting the criteria for affordable housing.

 

Cllr Cass advised that the information requested by the PC of Becket Trust in order to consider the request for funding for the independent site survey had not been received.

 

5.         MATTERS ARISING:

 

a.         Long Bridge Project:   KCCllr Pearman still awaiting meeting with Ben Hilden who had now taken over from the previous officer.   No further work undertaken since initial clearance of vegetation with some new fencing having been erected, current work completed by South East Water whilst water pipes were being installed.   Initial work to road surfacing had been scheduled although no dates for the priority marking/30 MPH had been advised.   Further hedgecutting had been carried out on the length to the bridge which had improved visibility.

 

b.         Litter Bins – Rectory/Leicester Square:  Cllrs Carson and O’Shea would endeavour to find a volunteer to carry out the painting of the bins and advise the clerk accordingly.

 

c.         Dalcour Maclaren    Meeting attended on 3 December with John Cattermole of SE Water plus Dalcour personnel and Cllrs Cass, Horsford and Townsend, planned work discussed, subsequent confirmation received of plans:   Deed of easement following completion to register location of apparatus and main and any protection installed, this to allow access for SE Water.   Right to undertake works within the land would be via Statutory 3 Notice served under the Water Industry Act 1991 which does not require SE Water to make any payment purely to gain such rights, unlike other utility providers such as electricity companies.   SE Water would compensate any substantiated diminution in value of the land which could be attributed to the installation of the main although as it is amenity land, this would most likely be a nominal amount of money.

Councillors raised no objections to the proposals as set by Dalcour Maclaren, clerk to confirm to company.   Cllr Cass confirmed that the work would have little visual impact on the site.

 

d.         Broadband Problems:   Clerk had been contacted by a small number of parishioners regarding the provision of an improved Broadband service to the parish.  Simon Alexander (SDC) had checked the position and advised that he had spoken to KCC who recommended residents initially use their postcode to check at www.kent.gov.uk/broadband to access information regarding the rollout specifically aimed at their facility.   Work is being undertaken presently and Cabinet 5 went live in October 2014, Mr Alexander is awaiting further updates.   Cllr O’Shea confirmed that problems were being experienced with this service and it would be a matter of time until the improvement filtered through.

6.         REPORTS:

 

a.   Sevenoaks District Councillor Paddy Cooke:  Cllr Cooke had asked the clerk to advise members that the time limit for applications for the Community Fund was nearly up.    The PC was asked to place the provision of yellow lines in the vicinity of the school on the next agenda, clerk to ask Cllr Cooke for details of siting of lines.

 

b.   KALC:    Terry Martin, County Secretary KALC:  Advice that Sevenoaks Area Committee had been asked to nominate two people to attend a Royal Garden Party at Buckingham Palace taking place on 20 May 2015.     Clerk had put forward the two Penshurst representatives but advised that Cllr Ken Varnham had been chosen from ‘the hat’ to take up the spaces available.

 

c.   Kent County Councillor Clive Pearman:

Information forwarded regarding severe weather plans and LED alterations, longer term road maintenance funding, to street lights.   Cllr Pearman also provided a Press Release indicating extra highway crews were on standby to tackle potholes if severe weather caused major damage, teams would seal roads with surface treatments, such as a stone and asphalt layer, which prevents water penetration.  Kent funding for pothole repairs and local road improvements has been set for a six year period by the Department of Transport.   In the event of an emergency, residents should call 03000 418181 to report pothole problems.   In June 2014, Kent was highlighted as one of the country’s top performing repairers having been awarded £6.3m from a ‘pothole fund’.   148 councils applied for funding, Kent received the second highest figure outside London, while the DfT calculates a national average cost of repairing a pothole at £53, initiatives such as ‘Find and Fix’ – KCC’s online reporting and tracking tool, and its commitment to making permanent, first time fixes has driven down the average cost of repairing a pothole in Kent to £37.    Cllr Pearman’s report follows:

 

Inevitably, after the Christmas break, one would expect there to be a few days grace before KCC got moving again and, not unexpectedly, that is precisely what has happened!

 

That’s not to say that stress and anxiety related to roles and responsibilities of KCC staff took a back seat!  Far from it!  This year, and probably the first time for many years, if not for ever, many middle and senior officers and managers were placed on ‘organised call-out standby’ in case there was a repetition of last year’s Christmas and New Year flooding situation.  I imagine that the weather forecasts in all forms found themselves with far more viewers or listeners than 12 months previously.  That the weather stayed relatively kind to us, and that an emergency response was not needed, will not negate the stress and tension experienced by many members of staff as they planned the festive and family celebrations in the days beforehand in the full knowledge that they might not, in the event, be able to participate if that call came!

 

But life, and work commitments, has returned to normal for the time being.  The month before and after Christmas was marked by an awareness that all of the facts and figures had been incorporated into the emerging draft budget for the forthcoming year and that, barring any last minute decisions, the template is ready for presentation to the full County Council at its meeting on the 12th February.

 

But a couple of events did take place and which mark a significant stage in the evolution of the Council’s approach to doing business ‘in the round’.  Firstly, as merely one aspect of the need to make, yet again, huge savings of around £80 million in this next financial year’s budget, the preliminary decision to reduce the number and scale of Community Wardens had been sent out for public consultation before Christmas with the overwhelming response, and particularly from Parish and Town Councils, that this proposal was rejected outright!  A sobering response, resulting in a chastened re-think, which has led to the Community Warden Service

 

staying as it was at around the establishment figure of 70; savings will be made, but they will occur primarily in the supporting back-office activities where the savings are to be made by not replacing staff as posts become vacant.  Redundancies should, therefore, not occur or be necessary, and the morale of the Community Wardens not be damaged by this successful outcome.  What the exercise did illustrate, however, is the power of the elected representatives of communities when given the chance to express their collective views in the consultative framework.

 

This second and last point is related to the above experience of operating the consultative process, and relates to the proposal to move the provision of the Library Service on to a more cost-effective and relevant footing.  The provision of this service is a legal responsibility which county councils must shoulder but, like all such legal responsibilities, whether you get the ‘tired old banger’ or the ‘gleaming Rolls Royce’, is a local matter of interpretation and applied costs.  For most authorities, of course, with the legal responsibility having been with county councils for years, the tendency has been towards the Rolls Royce version, and the evolution of a service which is both well-established and well-loved within all communities.  Changing the provision of this service, irrespective of need will, therefore, be extremely difficult to achieve.  This is one of the main reasons for putting the proposed change to the service out for a three-month consultative period so as to give every community the opportunity to consider the proposals and their respective responses.  Road shows and ‘drop-in’ sessions will add scope to the consultative process.  The lessons of the Community Warden consultation have been learned, particularly that of the need for greater time to consider the various options.

 

It is recommended that the provision of the Library Service is undertaken in a formal and legal Trust arrangement, giving each local community much more scope for the hours of opening of the library, the services which it might wish to undertake, and other uses to which the premises could be put.  This is tailoring and ‘fine-tuning’ according to local wishes and needs, with the power to achieve this also being delegated.  The County Council remains legally accountable for the provision of the service, but the vehicle for delivering that responsibility is now open to a negotiated and, hopefully, agreed outcome.  The route to the consultative mechanism is via the KCC website and runs until the end of March, and it is strongly recommended that everyone engages with this opportunity and influences the outcome according to local views.

 

Aside from these matters, information on a number of smaller issues of more relevance to our local communities, such as Kent Highways response to bad weather situations and the need to call upon emergency resources, the move towards LED-based street lighting across the county, and of Central Government’s commitment to funding the repair of pot-holes for the next few years, have been sent through to Parish and Town Councils in the Division as and when the information has become available and where there has been a need to disseminate immediately, rather than to await the production of the end-of-the-month report.

 

One final point.  We are now approaching the end of the Airports Commission consultative phase which has occupied much time, energy and intellectual rigor in addressing, on behalf of each community, local views on, in particular, the proposed second runway at Gatwick.  The strategy and objectives developed by Edenbridge Town Council back in 2012, with the support of Sir John Stanley, M.P., and pre-dating the Airports Commission, have stood the test of time and been adopted by virtually every Parish, Town, Borough and District Council in both West Kent and beyond.  Such a preparedness to engage with and to consistently follow the agreed approach has, I am absolutely certain, played a huge role in raising awareness within the Airports Commission, the CAA, NATS, GATCOM and, more importantly, Government Ministers in particular, of the anger and resentment within our local communities with regard to existing and totally unacceptable levels of aviation noise generated by Gatwick Airport.  In so doing, that airport has been shown to be wholly untrustworthy, duplicitous, arrogant and condescending to local communities.  The comeuppance will be a total rejection of the proposed second runway by the Airports Commission but, of course, we will not know of that recommendation until after the summer.

 

For the here and now, however, for all those who have so generously contributed in a number of ways – the preparedness of local councils to work together under the umbrella of the High Weald Councils Aviation Action Group, ably chaired by Chiddingstone Parish Councillor Richard Streatfield and with unstinting administrative support from Louise Kleinschmidt, the critiquing of massive documents full of jargon, Martin Barraud and his team for creating and managing the highly effective website www.gatwickobviouslynot.org and a sprinkling of extremely erudite letter-writers such as Steve Haysom – all working together to achieve the common end, I can only express my sincere appreciation and admiration in the many ways in which this has all come together and been focused for the past 18 months.  And while the stage now reached might allow a pause in the processing of the paperwork associated with aviation matters, this will only be a pause!  What has not gone away but is now considerably worse than it was just 3 years ago, is the sound of aircraft arriving at Gatwick and, in particular, of arriving and departing during the night.  There has been a marked increase in getting flights into and out of the airport, and irrespective of whether or not Gatwick ‘gets the nod’ for a second runway from the Airports Commission, the noise problem and night flights will remain and must, therefore, continue to be addressed.  Success there has been – the anger and resentment expressed by local people in the variety of ways mentioned above – has brought an awareness to the decision-makers which will make them think twice, and long and hard, about where to put the additional runway in the South East!  Once again, as with KCC’s consultative processes, this process has exemplified ‘the power of the local’!

 

d.    Alms Houses:   Cllr O’Shea advised there had been an inspection on Friday, a builder had been engaged to deal with the serious damp problem, the resident would be staying with relatives whilst the work was completed.

 

e.    Neighbourhood Watch:    No report

 

f.     Speedwatch:      Mr Loring advised that, in view of the recent poor weather, no checks had been carried out.

 

g.    Gatwick:

Airports Commission considering three options: 2nd Runway at Gatwick; Extension to existing northern runway at Heathrow; Third runway at Heathrow.   Deadline for response is 3 February 2015 via www.gov.uk/government/consultations/increasing-the-uks-long-term-aviation-capacity information also available on www.hwcaag.org, www.gacc.org.uk and www.gatwickobviouslynot.org

 

Leaflet drop organised by HWCAAG to 32,000 houses during weeks commencing 5 January/12 January.

 

Cllr Cass confirmed he had received no offers from members to stand as PC representative on the HWCAAG.

 

Sir John Stanley MP:  Letter enclosing copies of advertisements produced by Gatwick listing the advantages of the expansion of Gatwick instead of Heathrow. They also stated that although they ‘have the luxury of being able to fly additional planes over a much less populated area, we know there would still be an increase in the amount of noise created.’    In view of this they have introduced the most innovative noise pollution compensation scheme in Europe for households in Surrey, Sussex and Kent.    This would provide up to £3K towards double glazing, but in the event of the proposal going ahead, on top of this funding they would also give the most affected household’s annual compensation equivalent to Band A Council Tax, currently £1K.   They consider this indicates they are ‘committed to our new runway landing as smoothly as possible.’

 

PC Meeting with Gatwick Representative:   Subsequent to communication from Stewart Wingate CEO Gatwick and Melanie Wrightson – Community Engagement Manager, invitation received for PC Chairman to attend meeting to discuss Gatwick Airport and future plans; Director of Corporate Affairs & Sustainability, Charles Kirwan-Taylor will attend to hear concerns affecting Penshurst Parish.  Meeting scheduled for 25 February in Chiddingstone Village Hall.

 

Consultation on provision of second runway at Gatwick Airport:   Response  drafted by Penshurst PC forwarded via form available on www.gov.uk/airports-commission and emailed to airports.consultation@systra.com; acknowledgement received 28 January.   Penshurst PC submission also included full support for the detailed response formulated by the combined parishes of HWCAAG.   Cllr Cass was unsure whether the compensation being considered by Gatwick would be payable in the Penshurst and Fordcombe area, he also noted that the SDC had concluded its response, clerk had circulated this to members for their information.

 

HIGHWAYS:

 

Reported Faults Update:

 

Bidborough/Penshurst Road Boundary & Glebelands to School:  Officers for Sevenoaks/Tunbridge Wells contacted with regard to site meeting.    Originally reported under Ref: 91196.   Gully cleansing/pipe jetting scheduled to take place on 22 January with further work on 24 February in an attempt to alleviate some of the water running down the road.   Possibility of put in spill ways (concrete channels taking water off the highway) but topology on surrounding land needs to be lower than the carriageway to make this a success.   This could help areas where ponding occurs.    Clerk advised highways team due to attend site week commencing 26 January to repair potholes/road edge from Meadowbank area towards Penshurst; there was some doubt that this had happened, clerk to check.   It was also reported that drain clearance was required from Marlpit Corner to Rogues Hill area to improve the situation.

PROW:  862385:   Footpath 469 lack of stile or signs at either end, track also ploughed over.   PROW Officer to inspect on return from holiday, response regarding action required awaited.

PROW:  843172:   Footpath 469 Gate tied up causing difficulty on entering area.   Problem listed for inspection on timed inspection tour.

136309:  Outside 6 Glebelands:  Gully drain sinking and blocked.    Site inspected, metal replacement required, job raised for action.

136264: Broad Lane:   Poor condition of Broad Lane reported.   Work carried out recently to area to address potholes meeting criteria.

Penshurst Bus Shelter:  Clerk notified bus shelter glass vandalized again, arrangement being made to repair.

 

Cllr Clive Pearman:  Confirmation that funding will be made available over longer period to aid forward planning for road maintenance.

No information available regarding drainage procedures, no copy of mapping system or costs for drain clearance received.  No information received regarding ratio of management to working teams.

No further information received with regard to ‘lengthsmen’ teams.

 

8.                     FINANCE:

 

The following accounts were presented and approved for payment:

 

Mr I Streeter    Lengthsman                                           £89.00

Citizens Advice Bureau    S.137 Donation                       £100.00

RIP Cleaning Services Dog Waste Removal                    £142.56

Fordcombe Village Hall   Hall Hire                                     £7.00

Penshurst Village Hall  Hall Hire                                      £72.00

Commercial Services Gangmowing                                £401.94

GACC              Annual Subscription                                £10.00

Chiddingstone Parish Council:

HWCAAG        Administrative Costs/Printing                   £312.22

Chiddingstone Parish Council:

Swathe & Visibility Contract 2014                                   £279.73

Total cost                                                                    £5083.56

Less KCC funding                                                        £3964.65: £1118.91 paid by 4 Parishes

 

a. Quarterly Accounts:   Accounts for October – December 2014 tabled for information.   These were noted.

 

b. Decision on request for £3K PC funding towards  Becket Trust land survey relating to affordable housing sites:  Chairman advised that list of sites possibly suitable for affordable housing had been produced and Sevenoaks District Council had been advised.   Members had been advised at their meeting on 8 December by Tessa O’Sullivan (Rural Housing Enabler – AWCiRK) that in her experience, local knowledge regarding potential sites is held by the PC and local residents and there was no additional benefit in commissioning external consultants to undertake a site search.  SDC had requested the details of the sites in order that they could be added to the list with any others notified from other sources for inspection during their site visits on 6 February, extra time permitted on 13 February if required.

 

c. Decision on request for donation towards Gatwick plane noise campaign.     Cllr O’Shea to report on availability of business plan regarding GON plans, not available at date of meeting.   Clerk had provided detailed information on use of S137 payments and it had been agreed at the previous meeting that £1K would be allocated for financial help to GON on presentation of accounts and payment contact details.    Cllr O’Shea would check if a business plan was available and, if so, would forward this to the clerk.   An email circulated during the day would also be forwarded to the clerk.

 

d. Gang Mowing Costs for 2015:

 

Cllr Horsford took no part in the discussion regarding the allocation of the contract for the village/gang mowing for 2015.

Three quotes had been received:                      Hever Landscapes  Landscape Services   J Horsford

Mow/Trim Play Area                                        £68 per cut             £52.53 per cut           £45 per cut

Fordcombe Green                                           £85 per cut             £16.65 per cut           £40 per cut

Flail Mow Surround of Cricket Ground               £108 per cut           £126.10 per cut          £60 per cut

Please Note:  The quotation received from J Horsford includes the following extra work in the prices listed above –

The grassed area between the village hall and Chafford Lane will be mowed at the same time as the Green at no extra fee.

All cuttings, apart from those from the cricket ground surrounds, will be cleared at no extra cost.

Annual hedge cutting of laurel by play area to be undertaken at a charge of £40.

Annual spraying of the play area fencing to be undertaken at a cost of £46.

J Horsford had confirmed insurance was held for the quoted work.

Members discussed the options available, it was noted that the standard of the work carried out during the 2014 season by Landscape Services had been unacceptable, in view of this members did not wish to place the contract with them again.  The two alternatives were considered and in view of the financial saving it was unanimously agreed that the contract be awarded to J Horsford.   Clerk to action.

e. Fun Day:   New costings received for 2015 Fun Day, in addition to basic provision options include Magic entertainer, African drums, Circus skills and Challenger Troops obstacle course.    Clerk was awaiting costings prior to final decision.

 

f. Parish Weed Control:  Decision on quotation for weed control for Fordcombe.   This was unanimously agreed for two cuts for the year @ £160 per application.   Clerk to action.

 

9.                   CORRESPONDENCE:

 

a.         British Airways:  Reply from Keith Williams – Executive Chairman of British Airways  to Chairman regarding PC letter in relation to noise emitted from the Airbus A320 planes.

b.         Hannah Staunton – Head of Community Engagement Gatwick Airport:  Invitation to meeting to discuss Gatwick-related topics of interest to the council.

c.         Stewart Wingate, CEO, Gatwick Airport:  Confirmation of Airports Commission consultation until February.

d.         Office of Her Majesty’s Lord-Lieutenant of Kent:   Invitation for Cllr Cass to attend annual Civic Service at Rochester Cathedral – 10 March 2015.    Cllr Mrs Broad will attend.

e.         Sir John Stanley MP:  Confirmation that the government was now treating the Leigh Flood Storage Area and the Lower Beult Flood Alleviation schemes as a single scheme.  The Treasury had provided a written commitment to fund “over £17m for Tonbridge, Yalding and surrounding communities”.   Paul Carter, Leader of KCC confirmed they would find the 50% balance required to fund the work which would commence in 2018.    District, Borough and Parish Councils would also be asked to provide funding for the project.

f.          Local Government Boundary Commission:   Electoral Review of Kent County Council to consider electoral division boundaries across Kent.   The Commission is minded to recommend 81 county councillors should be elected in future, three

fewer than the current arrangement.   Views now sought from electors, for details and interactive maps please check: www.consultation.lgbce.org.uk or www.lgbce.org.uk or send views to Review Officer (Kent), Local Government Boundary Commission for England, Layden House, Turnmill Street, London EC1M 5LG

g.         Sir John Stanley MP:   Copy of speech from House of Commons urging Airports Commission to reject second runway proposal.

h.         Michael Hill, Cabinet Member (KCC) for Community Services:  Consultation on future delivery of Library, Registration and Archive services in Kent to run from 12 January – 8 April 2015.  Details on the proposals and consultation questionnaire: www.kent.gov.uk/raconsultation  24 drop–in Roadshows across the county will be held for members of the public to speak with staff, dates available on above website.   Specific question to be directed to Michael Hill on LRAconsultation@kent.gov.uk or 03000413131.   Clerk advised that the mobile library service would not change specifically because of the implementation of a charitable trust.

i.          George Lewis – SDC Democratic Services Administration Assistant:  Offer from Chairman Cllr Jill Davison to attend PC Annual Parish Meetings if available.   The PC were thankful for the offer but were unable to take advantage on this occasion.

j.          Sir John Stanley MP:  Copy of Sir John’s response to the Chairman of the Airports Commission and Press Statement regarding the provision of a second runway at Gatwick.

 

10.                   ANY OTHER BUSINESS:

 

a.         Kerbstone – Junction Penshurst Road/High Street:   Cllr Mrs Broad asked if there was any date scheduled for this to be painted in order that it could be seen at night.

b.         Grove Cottage, Grove Road:  Cllr Mrs Broad advised that resident was erecting metal posts to prevent cars skidding into the property.

c.         Water Pipe – Long Bridge:   Work was still to be completed, it was anticipated this would be done during spring/ summer.

 

Meeting concluded 8.50 pm                                                               Next Meeting 2 March – Fordcombe

 

 

Dates for 2015  Meetings:  Penshurst:    7 April, 1 June, 3 August, 5 October, 7 December.  (Penshurst dates confirmed.)      Fordcombe:  2 March, 13 April (Annual Parish Assembly), 11 May, 6 July, 7 September, 2 November.  (Fordcombe dates confirmed).    Please note change of date of Ordinary Meeting from 6 – 7 April due to Easter.