Ordinary Meeting Minutes 01/02/2010

 

 PENSHURST PARISH COUNCIL 
 
 Minutes of the Ordinary Meeting of Penshurst Parish Council held on Monday 1 February 2010 at 7.30 pm in Penshurst Village Hall
 
1.            PRESENT: Cllrs Mrs D Broad (Chairman), A Campbell, D Geal, M Gilbert, Mrs A Hill, R Horsford, C Viccars
 
APOLOGIES:    Cllrs R Sellings and S Frederick.   These were approved.
 
2.            MINUTES OF MEETING HELD ON 7 December to be approved, having been circulated were approved and signed by the Chairman.          
 
Declarations of Interest in Agenda Items
If a Member has a prejudicial interest, this should be declared at the start of the meeting.
Personal interests may be declared at this point or alternatively can be declared at the time when the specific item is being discussed, if a Member wishes to speak on an item in which s/he has a personal interest.     Cllr Viccars recorded a prejudicial interest in Item 8(c).
 
3.            MATTERS ARISING:
 
a.            Fordcombe Hospital Bus Stop:     No support forthcoming from Speldhurst Parish Council, highways had stressed problems associated with H&S if PC introduced paving slabs.   Clerk to advise Spire Hospital of situation, Cllr Viccars would speak with Mr D Crundwell.
 
b.         Public Toilets:      Clerk advised that Richard Wilson had put forward the PC’s offer of part funding of the public toilets, a final decision was imminent.   Cllr Frederick advised via Cllr Mrs Hill that grant were only available from SEEDA for capital expenditure on public toilets.
 
c.         BT Payphone: Damaged phone box at Smarts Hill reported under reference ND6GKN54, clerk advised work should have been completed within 14 days under new reference provided: ND2167757.   Further report made 18 January under reference ND6KCT38, repair promised within 48 hours! (Reported again 2 February 2010 under reference ND6KPA16 – repair promised within 24 hours!)
 
d.         Rogues Hill Bridge: Clerk reported wear on white ‘stop’ line on approach to bridge under reference 1199.    Work not completed.
 
e.            Saltbins:   Cllr Cooke had obtained detailed information from KCC showing their policy and statutory duty with regard to winter services.   In view of the increasingly poor winter provision by KCC, the fact that they had already allocated their stock of salt bins and the strict criteria to be complied with to enable the parish to obtain further bins from them, clerk to check on cost and availability of salt bins commercially, together with details of proposed gritting service being offered by contractors.
 
f.            Salmans Lane Bridges:   Reported to highways again as further movement seen, report also made on damage seen on bridge near pill box, Cllr Sellings met KCC engineer on site who confirmed this was not the responsibility of KCC Highways.    The landowner has been made aware of the damage to the main bridge and is investigating options of repair.   Cllr Sellings met with Andrew Stronghill of Penshurst Place to discuss the condition of the smaller bridge, method of repair being considered.                       
 
g.            Dogbone Lines:   Highways provided further information on policy requirements for introduction of white lines to deter parking where it would cause an obstruction, this reiterates the previous lengthy procedures involving logging parking and confirms costs must be borne by person/organisation initiating the request.   Cllr Lake was critical of the complexity of the procedure.
 
4.            REPORTS:
 
a.            Swaylands:   Cllr Geal advised that up to five units had been sold in the first block, work was expected to finish in May.    The Italian garden was finished and the design was excellent.
 
b.         Kent County Councillor:       Cllr Lake advised that with government funding to cover the costs of asylum seekers the tax rate would increase by 2.75%, if assistance was provided the increase could be kept to 1.86%.   There would be no increase in pay for KCC staff and up to 770 jobs would be lost during the next two years.    Cllr Lake had received representations from parishioners regarding the forthcoming application for polytunnels at Salmans Farm which he had discussed with Andrea Kerry at SDC.
 
c.            Sevenoaks District Councillor:     Cllr Cooke recorded that the parish was suffering badly with potholes and subsequent damage to vehicles, he had discussed this with Sue Ireland at highways, clerk advised that parishioners were welcome to report potholes to her or alternatively could ring KCC Highways direct on 08458 247800 and report problems, information required included size and depth of pothole, address and postcode of nearest property in order that highways could easily locate the problem for action. SDC budget was being considered and the 50% discount allowed to landlords who let properties fully furnished was under review, it was anticipated this would be reduced providing a £100K saving.
 
d.         KALC:   No report, minutes and information relating to the recent problems caused by ice and snow was circulating to councillors.
 
e.         Community Officer :  No report.
 
f.          Alms Houses:   Cllr Mrs Hill recorded that she had been appointed PC representative for the committee dealing with the Alms Houses.   They were also seeking an auditor and someone to undertaken the quinquennial inspection.
 
5.            HIGHWAYS:
 
Slippery Pavement Surface:    Cllr Lake reported that the brick paving would hopefully be replaced in early spring, this was being carried out under advice received from the Conservation Officer, Cllr Geal to pass brick samples to Cllr Sellings who had dealt with Allan Gibbons on this issue.
 
Longbridge:   White lining/Repairs:   Work advised to recommence during spring.          
 
River Medway Bridleway Bridge: Clerk advised by Nicky Biddall (Footpaths Officer) that Jacobs are contacting Ringway (the contractors carrying out the work) for a definite date for start/completion.
 
Verge Mowing and Hedge Cutting:   Councillors to advise clerk of any hedges that require attention in order that she could write to relevant landowners.
 
Penshurst Junction:   Cllr Lake advised that it was planned the footway would be extended to the BT cover to make a more acute angle.
 
New Road:    Manhole cover on grassed area in front of houses broken, reported under reference 2642.                           
 
Road Surface – Fordcombe:   Reported to Sue Ireland, countywide team will investigate.
 
Interactive Road Signs:   Cllr Lake advised a decision for siting of these units would be made, councillors requested that the PC be involved in the final decision of siting for the two units.
 
Penshurst Churchyard:   Clerk advised by Nicky Biddall (Footpaths Officer) that churchyard path apparently Victorian brick not Tudor and nothing can be done to improve the surface of the bricks. The work to reset the loose bricks on SR485 had been placed with a contractor and work should be completed by the end of March.                   
 
Temporary Road Closure: Advice received of road closure to facilitate Tunbridge Wells Half Marathon on 28 February 2010.   Lengths of street to be closed: Penshurst Road, Rogues Hill, High Street, Penshurst, Fordcombe Road, New Road, Saints Hill and Spring Hill.
 
Potholes:   Report received from resident of potholes along roads to Penshurst and Bidborough, reported under references 3708 and 3710.
Fordcombe Drainage:   Members were advised by Cllr Lake that further work to clear the drains in Spring Hill/Manor Drive area would be carried out when equipment was available.
 
OPEN SESSION    No Issue Raised
 
6.            PLANNING:
 
PLANNING APPLICATIONS:
SE/09/02937: Beech Glade, Doubleton Lane, Penshurst, Tonbridge: Single storey extension to dwelling.   No Comment.
SE/09/02906: South Lodge, Penshurst Road, Penshurst:   Removal of stud partition wall from existing WC area. Erection of new partition wall for WC/utility.   Replacement of Crittall window with new oak frame. Installation of new condensing boiler in cellar with the flue to be situation at ground floor level. Installation of sky dish at rear.
SE/09/02815:   Walters Green Farm, Walters Green Road, Penshurst: Erection of single 10KW Wind Turbine
SE/10/00094: Lane Cottage, The Lane, Fordcombe: Erection of replacement tackroom/feed store.
 
DECISIONS:
SE/09/02042: Daneby Hall, The Lane, Fordcombe: Sub division of Daneby Hall into two dwelling houses.     GRANTED
SE/09/02478: The Bottle House, Coldharbour Road, Penshurst: Retrospective replacement of existing internal boiler with new efficient condensing oil-fired boiler at rear of property, externally over kitchen.    GRANTED
SE/09/02266: Woodgate Manor, Penshurst Road, Penshurst: Reconfiguration of Apartment 2 to provide additional three bedroom apartment on Eastern Apartment block at Swaylands. GRANTED (PC advised that application treated as withdrawn with effect from 3 December 2009.)
SE/09/02583: Log Cabin, Coldharbour Road, PenshurstErection of extension to log cabin to provide kitchen and studio/garden room.     REFUSED
SE/09/02607/8LBC: The Old Rectory, High Street, Penshurst:   Proposed partial demolition at rear. Erection of a single storey rear extensions.   Erection of new entrance gates.   Reconstruction of original summer house.   Alterations to fenestration and internal alterations.    GRANTED
 
APPEALS:
The Oast, Spring Hill, Fordcombe:   Erection of single storey extension with eight roof lights, internal alterations and improve layout.
 
TREE SURGERY:
The Orangery, Penshurst Road, Penshurst: Work to 1 beech tree.
 
7.            CORRESPONDENCE:
 
a.         SDC: Traffic Regulation Orders relating to parking adjacent to all schools within the district of             Sevenoaks
b.            Hazelwood Management:   Information on commercial tree work service
c.         KCC:   Annual Performance Report
d.         SDC:   2009 Annual Progress report for the SDC Sustainable Community Action Plan
e.         Kent Top Travel:   Information on coach hire
f.          SDC:   SDC Young Volunteer of the Year Award 2010
g.         SDC: Information regarding closure of roads for Tunbridge Wells Half Marathon on 28 February
 
 
8.            FINANCE:
 
The following accounts were presented and approved for payment.                                                                                
 
Mr I Streeter                                          Lengthsman                                                       78.00
Fordcombe Village Hall                                Hall Hire Fee                                                          6.00
RIP Cleaning Services                                    Dog Waste Removal                                     77.63
Mrs E M Divall                                        Clerk Salary December/January                                 875.00
 
a.            Quarterly Accounts:   These had been circulated to members for information and were noted.
 
b.            Quotation:   Quotation had been received from the PC’s contractor for the weed treatment for 2010, the price of £140 per application for treatment at Fordcombe was approved.
 
c.            Penshurst Churchyard Trees:   Quotations for various works in Penshurst churchyard to the tulip trees, Yews, Lime and ivy growth had been received.   These were all under the PC’s limit for competitive tenders.   Clerk to action as required.
 
9.         ANY OTHER BUSINESS
 
a.    SDC:   An invitation had been received for the Parish Council Chairmen and Clerks to have lunch with the SDC Chairman, Cllr John Lankester at the Darenth Valley Golf Course.   Clerk to discuss invitation with Chairman and answer accordingly.
 
b.    Poundsbridge Manor: Cllr Campbell reported that the drainage system recently completed by KCC highways had failed, although the gullies were working the drains appeared to be blocked and water was coming up through the road.
 
c.    Fordcombe Village Green:   Cllr Geal reported that a car recently parked on one of the access roads adjacent to the green had been keyed and badly damaged, parishioners were asked to remain vigilant if they left their cars in this area.
 
d.    Website:   Cllr Viccars confirmed that the minutes and meeting dates were being recorded on the website.   It was agreed that it would be a good idea to link the site to others in the parish for the benefit of parishioners and visitors to the site.
 
e.   Play Area:   Cllr Gilbert confirmed that the team had passed the first part of a two stage process for funding for the play area although it was becoming increasingly difficult to obtain financial help for the project.
 
f.   Potholes: Cllr Horsford reported that a strip of potholes approximately 10-12’ long and 6/7” deep was causing problems at the end of The Lane near Hickmans.   Clerk to report.
 
Meeting Concluded 8.45pm                                                Next Meeting 1 March 2010 – Fordcombe