Minutes of ordinary meeting 2/04/2013

PENSHURST PARISH COUNCIL MINUTES

 

Detailed minutes for the Ordinary Meeting of Penshurst Parish Council that was held on Tuesday 2 April 2013 at 7.45 pm in Penshurst Village Hall

 

1.         PRESENT:    Cllrs J Cass (Chairman),  A Campbell, S Frederick, B Townsend, I Carson, Mrs D Broad

 

APOLOGIES:    P Lake, J Horsford, J O’Shea, P Cooke, J Broadhead. E Divall (minutes being taken by C Divall)

 

2.         MINUTES OF MEETING HELD ON 4 March 2013 to be approved.

 

Declarations of interests in agenda items

If a Member has a disclosable pecuniary interest in an item of business this must be declared at the start of the meeting, unless dispensation has been granted.  The member may not participate in any discussion, vote or discharge any function related to that business.

Non-pecuniary interests may be declared at this point if not already registered.  members with a non-pecuniary interest may speak on the subject if members of the public can do so but may not vote.

NONE

 

3.         OPEN SESSION

 

It was raised by a parishioner who lives within a viewing distance of the new flashing speed sign, if it was possible for the data that is being collected by the machine i.e. whether peoples speeds are slowing down, could be downloaded to find out what is happening as he raised concern that it does seem to be flashing an awful lot of the time. It was decided that J Broadhead would be addressing this and the possible over sensitivity of the machine as part of the speed watch.

 

3.        PLANNING

 

Applications:

 

Wells View, Penshurst Road, Penshurst:   Demolition of existing timber framed single glazed conservatory to existing floor slab level, to the outbuilding.  Construction of a new single storey extension to accommodate a new kitchen, with two roof lights, associated internal and external alterations. *** PARISH COUNCIL SUPPORT

 

Site Visits:

 

Penshurst Park Cricket Club, Penshurst – D Broad arranging Site visit

The erection of single storey side extension, internal alterations and refurbishment of club pavilion

 

Orchard Cottage, Nunnery Lane, Penshurst – D Broad arranging Site visit

 

Tree Surgery:  NONE.

 

 

4.         MATTERS ARISING:

a.                     Fordcombe Noticeboard:   Clerk emailed councillors with website information for companies supplying suitable noticeboards.   Prices obtained for samples.  After discussion clerk was promised contacts for three further contractors that might be able to provide quotations.   An oak board was preferred with polycarbonate fronts.

 

Quotes are now being obtained where just the front doors of the noticeboard could be changed if the actual body of the noticeboard is in reasonable condition.

 

b.                     School pedestrian route.  Clerk to contact landowner again, the question was raised of would it be worth adding to the parish councils chemical weed control to be done once a year. Clerk to first recontact landowner.

 

c.                     Poundsbridge Manor:  water incursion on road from field has been dealt with during the road closure to facilitate gas works, time and weather conditions will tell if the work has been successful.

 

d.                     Hedging:  Clerk to request the hedging at Redleaf & Keepers in the South Lodge/North Lodge area be cut back.

 

e.                     The Waghorn Proposals. The Waghorn proposals list out suggestions on zigzag lines, 20 mph limits, village green extra tarmacing , and parking on the Cricket Ground. The zigzag lines have been completed outside the school already,    J Cass to respond.

 

 

5.         REPORTS:

 

a.                     Kent County Councillor:     NONE

 

b.                     Sevenoaks District Councillor:   NONE

 

 

c.                     KALC:     I Carson reported that he had been to the last KALC meeting where the new Police Commissioner had been speaking about the fact that she is now going to be operating a ‘open door’ policy via email, ‘whatever it is, please do email me and i will eventually get back to you’. It was said that this seemed a good idea as it may encourage some people to contact her more about how things should be policed in their area.

 

d.                     Alms Houses:    NONE

 

e.                     Neighbourhood Watch:   NONE.

 

Speedwatch: J Broadhead was absent but a parishioner reported that it has been difficult sourcing the equipment sometimes and that it might be nicer/easier for Penshurst to have their own equipment. He also reported that due to the weather being so bad, they haven’t done a speed watch yet. It was suggested that they wait until the weather warms up and for the schools to return, as that also effects the levels of traffic and speed considerably. Jeremy Broadhead to confirm attendees for Kent Police meeting at Maidstone on 20th April and police training at SDC on 23rd April.

 

 

6.         HIGHWAYS: D Broad asked if it was possible to lower the sign by the zigzag lines as it is very high and a struggle to see. Clerk to ask highways.

 

a.                     Penshurst Rectory Hedge:     Further letter forwarded to Rectory requesting overhanging area of hedge be cut back in accordance with highway specification requirements. Awaiting reply.

 

b.                      Reported Faults Update:

 

Ref: 49299/49750:  Fordcombe Road junction with Glebelands – Primary School: puddling adjacent to pavement causing problems for pedestrians using route to school.  Clerk advised road profiling causing flooding, issue re-assigned for action to relevant highways department.

Ref: 49301:  Poundsbridge Lane edging/gravel replacement and possible plastic warning posts adjacent to deep ditches.    Further site inspection requested by Clerk, new reference No. 17425664.

Ref: 62231:  Laying water reported on road opposite Poundsbridge Lane junction with Penshurst Road.  Enquiry under investigation 20 February.

Ref: 53310 (was 53311):  Laying water reported between Petersfield and Birches on Fordcombe Road.  Passed to drainage engineer for action.

Ref: 54537:  Sunken drain covers at junction of Fordcombe Road/The Lane plus one further along the Fordcombe Road   Clerk advised further work to be carried out.

Ref: 56792/57757:  Potholes reported from Chafford Bridge – Bradley Lane – Top Hill, site visit made 17 January, work to be completed as weather permits

Ref: 62226:  Flooding on road from Meadow Wood towards Barden Road reported again.

Poundsbridge Church:  Clerk contacted Highway Officer regarding bollards installed adjacent to the

wall and ditch collapse, Officer checking area – aware problems experienced with milk tanker – report

awaited.

Penshurst School Access – Signage promised:   Bridleway SR48 – near Meadow Corner and the track down to Nashes Farm;  on the verge near to No. 3 New Road and on the verge between 1 and 2 Glebelands (adjacent to Penshurst Village name sign).   Installation of signage completed.  Confirmation received from Steven Noad that he would inspect the position of the sign and further consideration would be given to the white lining requested at Long Bridge if funding could be identified to carry out the work.   In view of recent near accident clerk to write to Steven Noad and asking for costs involved in the work to provide white lining and, if feasible, PC could pay costs.

10212521 – Poundsbridge Manor and Swaylands:  Problems with ineffective ditches/drainage reported, forthcoming gas installation work being undertaken nearby, area to be checked prior to works and repairs necessary to be undertaken whilst road is closed temporarily.  Clerk requested area be monitored after utility work to ensure road repairs undertaken to acceptable standard.   Engineer contacted clerk to advise further installation works were being carried out for which the road required closure, highways would take advantage of the road closure to complete any works necessary.

New Speed Indicator Sign:  Members were aware that the unit collated data to assist with future discussions on any further speed restriction options. It has been confirmed that the flashing signs are still being used.

 

7.                     FINANCE:

 

The following accounts will be presented for payment together with any others received after preparation of the agenda but prior to the meeting:

 

 

South East water                                    Water                                       £10.50

South East Water                                   Water                                       £22.82

I Streeter                                              Lengthsman                               £86.00

Goldservice                                           Public Toilet Cleaning                  £225.34

 

a.                     Future Parish Swathe Cutting:  Meeting on Thursday 4th April, to decide who is the best with regard to cost and effectiveness of work etc. J Cass will attend this at Chiddingstone village hall..

 

b.                     Public Toilets:   Are now closed, Keys to be returned to the clerk and notices are being put on the door of the Toilets to say that they are now shut. Clerk has contacted GoldService re: keys and they are being returned and in due course all keys will be returned to Penshurst estate.

 

c.                     Village Weed Control:   Complete Weed Control provided the PC with a quotation of £512.40, for the 3 Applications for the control of nettles in hedges and weeds on pavements and kerbs as directed. The PC asked the clerk to confirm this quotation it was accepted on 03.04.13 with Simon Catchpole himself.

 

8.                     CORRESPONDENCE:

 

a.                     River Eden Project.   The people who are running the project have contacted J Cass asking for volunteers, I Carson put his name forward for this as he said he felt it was in one of the areas that he was interested and able to help.

 

9.                     ANY OTHER BUSINESS:

 

a.                     Highways Lengthsman:  The gulley from the Poundsbridge Manor on the left hand side towards Speldhurst required clearing. Clerk has contacted P Lake, awaiting a reply.

 

b.                     PORC:  Clerk asked to check current situation with regard to tree removal, which she did with SDC and they have written to say that they are investigating.

 

c.                     Flytipping:  The rubbish between Hickmans and the Poundsbridge Manor and near Meadow Wood has gone but is was very slow to go.

 

d.                     Potholes:  Clerk to report potholes by Barnfield.

 

e.                     Cats eyes: D Broad asked as there were new Cats Eyes on the road out of Penshurst and going in to Fordcombe, not long ago, unfortunately some of them have become unstuck again, is it possible for them to come an ‘re-stick’ them. Clerk to contact highways.

 

f.                      No Foot path sign: D Broad asked about the sign and why it was there. It was the general feeling of the room that it could be perhaps be better placed at the bottom of Smarts Hill rather than where it is on the B2188. Clerk to find out why it is there.

 

g.                     Old House Lane:  J Cass said reported that it will be closed for the day on Tuesday 14th May.

 

h.                     Services Survey: J Cass reported that the PC had received a survey asking them to assess what there was in the village, and it was decided that the PC would wait to fill it out until the future of the Public house the ‘Leicester Arms’, was decided. Survey team advised that pub is hopefully ‘temporarily’ closed and that Quaintways is no longer a tearoom.

 

i.                      Renamed Train Station: J Cass reported that he had received a request for comments or objections to the re-naming of Penshurst Station to now become Chiddingstone Causeway Station, based on where it is geographically. J Cass has spoken the estate and we await their reaction.

 

 

Meeting concluded 8:40 pm

Next Meeting:              Monday 8th April 2013   (Annual Parish Assembly) 19.30 Fordcombe

Tuesday 7th May 2013     (Ordinary Meeting) 19.30 Fordcombe