Minutes of Annual Parish Council Meeting 7/05/2013

PENSHURST PARISH COUNCIL

 

Minutes of the Annual Meeting of the Parish Council of Penshurst Parish Council held on Tuesday 7th May 2013 at 7.30 pm in Fordcombe Village Hall

 

1.            PRESENT:    Cllrs J Cass, Mrs D Broad, J Broadhead, A Campbell, I Carson, S Frederick, J Horsford, J O’Shea,

 

APOLOGIES:   Cllrs B Townsend – this was approved and SDCllr P Cooke.

 

2.         MINUTES OF MEETING HELD ON 2 April 2013, having been circulated, were approved and signed by the Chairman.

 

Declarations of interests in agenda items

If a Member has a disclosable pecuniary interest in an item of business this must be declared at the start of the meeting, unless dispensation has been granted.  The member may not participate in any discussion, vote or discharge any function related to that business.

Non-pecuniary interests may be declared at this point if not already registered.  Members with a non-pecuniary interest may speak on the subject if members of the public can do so but may not vote.  NONE

 

3.         ELECTION OF CHAIRMAN/VICE-CHAIRMAN:

 

Chairman:

 

Cllr J O’Shea Nominated by Cllr I Carson, Seconded by Cllr J Broadhead

 

Cllr J Cass Nominated by Cllr J Horsford, Seconded by Cllr Mrs D Broad

 

A vote was taken for the position of Chairman and Cllr Cass was appointed on four votes to two.

 

Vice-Chairman:

 

Cllr Mrs D Broad was nominated by Cllr Cass and seconded by Cllr Frederick and duly appointed Vice Chairman.

 

Appointment of Representatives:

 

KALC Representatives:                                       Cllrs Broadhead and Horsford

Village Hall Representatives:                               Cllr O’Shea (Serves as Treasurer to Penshurst Village Hall Committee)

Cllr Broadhead – Penshurst, Cllr Townsend – Fordcombe

Planning Representatives:                                   Chairman plus councillors available to attend scheduled site meetings

Transport Forum Representative:                        Cllr Campbell confirmed his willingness to deal with data

It was suggested Mr R Sellings be approached to take over this work on co-option*

Swaylands Representative:                                 Cllr Mrs Broad/Mr R Sellings as necessary

Footpath/ Bridle Path Representative:                  Cllr Mrs Broad

Allotments:                                                        Cllrs Frederick and Campbell

Highways:                                                         Cllr J Cass

Play Area:                                                         Cllr Horsford

Alms Houses:                                                    Cllr O’Shea

Becket Trust:                                                     Cllr I Carson

 

*After Cllr Campbell expressed his willingness to deal with data collection and handling, it was suggested that Mr Sellings be approached to take over this project co-ordination on co-option and had since agreed to do this.

 

4.         OPEN SESSION

 

Cllr Cass reported he and Cllr Mrs Broad had attended the opening of the Porcupine Pantry restaurant facility at Penshurst Place. They also attended the dedication of the new Julia Armstrong Wing at Penshurst Primary School.

Cllr Cass advised that SDC was still awaiting information on the decision under consideration relating to the application for costs protection made by the claimants in connection with the judicial review, only after that decision was made would the court consider whether to grant leave for judicial review.  SDC’s disappointment and frustration having been exacerbated by the court’s failure to notify them of its previous interim order, arrangements had been made with the Claimant’s solicitors who agreed to notify them at once if the court contacted them.

Hedging had been trimmed around Penshurst School flashing school sign.

Cllr Carson to trim hedge around telephone box in Penshurst.

Grass cutting around Fordcombe play area, the green and right hand side of pathway to be checked with Landscape Services as this was regularly missed.

 

5.        PLANNING

 

Applications:

 

SE/13/00409/HOUSE: Old Surrenden, Walters Green Road, Penshurst:  Replace roof to rear garage and convert rear garage into living accommodation, new pitched roof to rear dormer.  Revised application (change of roof material and pitch) following planning permissions Ref: SE/12/02895/6. PC:  No Further Comment

SE/13/01203:  Abbotsmerry Barn, Salmans Lane, Penshurst:  Closure of family room north external door at ground floor level.   PC Support

SE/13/01167:  Old Lodge, Spring Hill, Fordcombe:  Erection wooden garden shed 2.4 x 3.6 x 2.5m adjacent to existing garage and behind existing fencing within property boundary.

SE/13/01141:  Polbream, Saints Hill, Penshurst:  Single storey side/rear (western elevation) with mezzanine floor and basement, single storey rear extension, balcony to first floor, porch to front elevation, conversion of roof space.

SE/13/01190:  Abbotsmerry Barn, Salmans Lane, Penshurst:  Creation of private equestrian sand school/ménage.

SE/13/00800:  Penshurst Park Cricket Club, Penshurst Place, Penshurst:  Erection of single storey side extension, internal alterations and refurbishment of club pavilion.  PC Support

 

Decisions:

 

SE/12/02710: 1 Well Place Cottages, Rogues Hill, Penshurst:  Erection of a single storey rear extension.    GRANTED

SE/13/00410:  Old Surrenden, Walters Green Road, Penshurst:  Replace roof to rear garage and convert rear garage into living accommodation, new pitched roof to rear dormer.  REFUSED

SE/13/00448: Wells View, Penshurst Road, Penshurst:  Demolition of existing timber framed single glazed conservatory, construction of new single storey extension.   GRANTED

 

Tree Surgery:

 

SE/13/01138:  The Gables, Spring Hill, Fordcombe:  Reduce crown of birch tree, removal 1 conifer and reduce hedge.

 

6.         MATTERS ARISING:

 

a.                     Fordcombe Noticeboard:   Clerk to check on possible contractors for rebuild and Cllr Cass to obtain costs involved in replacing only the front doors of the unit which were currently working.

 

b.                     School pedestrian route.   Cllrs Cass and Mrs Broad together with Mr Sellings met on site to check if currently damaged fencing could be moved to provide extra walking space for those using the route to school.   It was confirmed that the flashing speed signs contain data for use by the police.   (Please Note:  Confirmation received that the replacement of the damaged fencing is the responsibility of Kent Highways who originally provided this, they suggest the PC contact the landowner/estate to discuss possibility of re-siting same.   Now registered on website as damaged requiring repair under reference 70667)

 

c.                     Hedging:  Letters forwarded to Redleaf & Keepers in the South Lodge/North Lodge area requesting any hedging adjacent to roadway be cut back.

 

d.                     The Waghorn Proposals.     (Approach originally made to Kent Highways regarding removal of zigzag lines/signage but PC advised this would not be possible.)

 

e.                     Highways Lengthsmen:  PC advised lengthsman will possibly be made available for one week in each parish, jobs to be listed: gulley clearance from Poundsbridge Manor toward Speldhurst, clearance of road signs where overgrown, reinstatement of white lining etc. where worn and missing. (Clerk has asked County for dates of attendance)

 

f.                      Cats eyes: Reported to highways under reference: 69819

 

g.                     Renamed Train Station: Penshurst Place have no objection to renaming of station,     date of renaming unknown.

 

 

7.         REPORTS:

 

a.                     Kent County Councillor:      No Report

 

b.                     Sevenoaks District Councillor: No report

 

c.                     KALC:    Meeting on 10 May, report to follow at next meeting.

 

d.                     Alms Houses:   The refurbishment of the first flat had been completed satisfactorily.  The Trustees will meet in the near future to plan the next stage of work and to consider the applicants for the vacant residence.

 

e.                     Neighbourhood Watch:    Police have issued warnings regarding thefts from sheds and isolated buildings, parishioners were advised to ensure such building were locked and/or alarmed.  Vans parked with tools were also proving vulnerable, both villages have suffered such losses.   Mr Johnson confirmed he had been involved in an accident the previous Saturday afternoon when his car had hit the church wall in Fordcombe, he recorded his thanks to all those who came to his aid to provide a welcome cup of tea, move the damaged vehicle in order to clear the road, collect his belongings from the car

 

f.                                    Speedwatch:  Messrs Loring and Furnell attended a ‘mini conference’.   Vehicle caught at 45MPH, a BMW was caught twice.   Accurate notes of registration numbers must be recorded.   New KCCCllr to be approached regarding funding for new equipment.

 

8.         HIGHWAYS:  Clerk forwarded request for sign by zigzag markings to be lowered, response awaited.

 

a.                     Penshurst Rectory Hedge:     No further response received to PC correspondence, clerk to contact again.

 

b.                     Reported Faults Update:

 

Ref: 49299/49750:  Fordcombe Road junction with Glebelands – Primary School: puddling adjacent to pavement causing problems for pedestrians using route to school.  Some work carried out, further work required.

Ref: 17425664:  Poundsbridge Lane edging/gravel replacement and possible plastic warning posts adjacent to deep ditches.     Work being programmed.

Ref: 62231:  Laying water reported on road opposite Poundsbridge Lane junction with Penshurst Road.  Confirmation more work required.

Ref: 53310:  Laying water reported between Petersfield and Birches on Fordcombe Road.  Passed to drainage engineer for action, no work carried out to date.

Ref: 54537:  Sunken drain covers at junction of Fordcombe Road/The Lane plus one further along the Fordcombe Road   Clerk advised work now completed.

Ref: 56792/57757:  Potholes reported from Chafford Bridge – Bradley Lane – Top Hill, site visit made 17 January, work now advised as completed.   Clerk to report again, further potholes developed, some repairs failed.

Ref: 62226:  Flooding on road from Meadow Wood towards Barden Road reported again, confirmation further work required.

Ref: 70837:  Pothole at Old Post Office:  Clerk reported for repair.

Poundsbridge Church:  Clerk contacted Highway Officer regarding bollards installed adjacent to the

wall and ditch collapse, Officer checking area – aware problems experienced with milk tanker – Officer visiting site again to investigate options.

Penshurst School Access – Signage:      Confirmation received from Steven Noad that he would inspect the position of the sign indicating no footpath and further consideration would be given to the white lining requested at Long Bridge if funding could be identified to carry out the work.    Request made regarding possible PC funding of white lines.

10212521 – Poundsbridge Manor and Swaylands:  Utility works awaited, area to be monitored by highways as work progresses.

 

9.                     FINANCE:

 

The following accounts were presented and approved for payment:

 

I Streeter                                                          Lengthsman                                           £92.00

CPRE                                                                 Annual Subscription                                £29.00

Southern Water                                                  Final WC Costs                                       £42.19

South East Water                                               Final WC Costs                                       £1.48

HMRC                                                               Clerk’s Final Tax for 2012/13                   £151.00

Mrs E M Divall                                                    Clerk’s Final Salary for 2012/13               £1680.12

 

a.                     Future Parish Swathe Cutting:  KCC had approved the PCs’ request to take over the swathe and visibility cutting for 2013, confirmation having been received from Robin Hadley to proceed.  KCC can only commit on an annual basis with a sum of £4,013.83 being awarded for the four parishes in total.   The nominated contractor would be Philip Broad from Hildenborough who would sign a three year contract with a break clause after one year, subject to satisfactory performance to provide two swathe cuts a year but with the option to have a third and three visibility cuts per year.  Inflationary annual increases linked to consumer price index.  Chiddingstone PC to act as lead parish with each parish paying a proportion of administration costs, all contact from parishes, contractor and KCC to be through Chiddingstone PC with inter parish agreement being signed.   (Clerk advised Louise Kleinschmidt of Leigh that PC in agreement for project to go ahead)

 

b.          Annual Accounts:  Tabled for members, clerk had completed the preparation of the accounts in accordance with the Audit requirements and signed the Annual Return to this effect, internal audit completed with no issues raised for concern.  Annual Governance Statement signed by clerk confirming preparation of accounting statement completed in accordance with requirements. Audit Return completed and signed by Chairman for submission.

 

c.         Insurance:   Clerk obtained more competitive insurance cover than current AON notification ie £1472 quoted.   Better cover had been offered by Zurich for £1,035 or £915 annual payments if the PC agrees to a three year term agreement.  Zurich were offering extra Public Liability cover, increased Officials’ Indemnity cover, higher personal accident cover.   Members agreed to change to new insurers and opted for the three year offer.

 

d.         Fordcombe Church Wall:   Mike Gilbert to liaise with Peter Johnson’s insurers to ensure that a ‘like for like’ finish is provided during the repairs.

 

10.                   CORRESPONDENCE:  Covered in others areas of agenda.

 

11.                   ANY OTHER BUSINESS:

 

a.     Chafford Lane:   Overgrown hedging and lack of sight lines:  Request received for information on how to arrange for a mirror to be installed to aid exit on to road.

 

b.      Annual Parish Assembly:  Cllrs Mrs Broad raised the issue of lack of attendance at the meeting by councillors.

 

c.     Colliers Lane Hedges:   Cllr Horsford reported these need cutting.

 

d.     Potholes:  Cllr Campbell advised white paint had appeared on potholes on Smarts Hill so it was hoped that repairs would soon commence.

 

 

Meeting concluded 8.45 pm                                       Next Meeting 3 June 2013 – Penshurst